Filter Media

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hello, I have a question about filter media. I currently have a bio falls filter that I have been using with the 3 sponge and lava rock system. Last season I switched out one bag of lava rocks for 250 bio balls and left the other lava rocks in there. I just opened up the pond and bought another 650 bio balls, so removed the lava rock and put some in the water fall. I also purchased 70 lbs. of oyster shell. My pond is 2500-3000 gal. I put the oyster shells into small sock like bags and placed them in the filter box and the waterfall.

Question is do I still need the 3 sponges in the filter box along with the oyster shell bags and the bio balls or can I take out the sponges and put the oyster shells on the lower level and the bio balls on the top of those? It is really cramped in there and I don't know if it is going to effect water flow. Does anyone know how many bio balls I would need for 3000 gals. and if the oyster shell socks would act the same as the sponges in catching debris?

Thanks for any help.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Hi Sissy, Yes I know--I just didn't know if they would grab the particles on the sock and hold it like a sponge. So you would leave the sponges in then?
I doubt the bag of oyster shells would trap much particulate. But the sponges most likely provide huge surface area for beneficial bacteria, I'd keep them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love my lava rock and would never change them out .I have a big bag of bio balls that came with stuff i bought ,but never used them except in my stock tanks on the in tank filters.Made them lighter to pick up to take out and hose off .I use reusable furnace filters on top of my filter tanks to catch some of the smaller stuff and under the furnace filter is quilt batting to pick up even the finer stuff.Right now I am waiting to rebuild this filter until I am finished with my decks and shelves for my sons office /was my guest house and was a shed I built and converted .

Attachments

• camera pics 008.JPG
    camera pics 008.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Librakoi, what is your fish population?
Hi Mitch, I have about 30 in there. I'm sure way to many as they keep spawning every year and we get a few survivors each time. I have gotten rid of some over the years--but it is hard to part with them when you don't know how they will be treated. They are like my dogs and cat--

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I love my lava rock and would never change them out .I have a big bag of bio balls that came with stuff i bought ,but never used them except in my stock tanks on the in tank filters.Made them lighter to pick up to take out and hose off .I use reusable furnace filters on top of my filter tanks to catch some of the smaller stuff and under the furnace filter is quilt batting to pick up even the finer stuff.Right now I am waiting to rebuild this filter until I am finished with my decks and shelves for my sons office /was my guest house and was a shed I built and converted .
Hi Sissy, Yes I have always used the lava rock also and them last year--someone told me that the clog and don't trap as well and I should switch to bio balls. Not sure if I did the right them or not--but I have more lavas I can toss in the waterfall. Does anyone know if this is accurate that the bio balls will hold more per sq. inch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Hi Sissy, Yes I have always used the lava rock also and them last year--someone told me that the clog and don't trap as well and I should switch to bio balls. Not sure if I did the right them or not--but I have more lavas I can toss in the waterfall. Does anyone know if this is accurate that the bio balls will hold more per sq. inch?
I have lava rock probably round 50 lbs in a nylon laundry bag that is rapped in quilt batting and placed in a round laundry badket. This sits in my 100 gal stock tank that is my return to my pond. I change the quilt batting every 2 weeks spring thru fall once a month in winter. This set up is over 3 years now and the lava rock still looks as clean as when I first placed it in the tub . The quilt batting does a great job keeping out the fine particles. My pond is crystal clear with great water parameters. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi Mitch, I have about 30 in there. I'm sure way to many as they keep spawning every year and we get a few survivors each time. I have gotten rid of some over the years--but it is hard to part with them when you don't know how they will be treated. They are like my dogs and cat--

I think you could design your filter to concentrate more on detritus removal than extra biofilter capacity.
Your pond is a good size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How exactly is lava rock supposed to work? I currently have a waterfall with no filter media and I don't know whether to go with lava rocks or bio balls. I can't even really picture "lava rocks" or know where to get them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lowes and home depot and they are red color and garden centers sometimes sell them in bulk .My dad used them i use them .I put mine in dollar store laundry bags to make it easier.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Bio-balls shouldn't hold ANY detrius, they are intended as substrate for beneficial bacteria, as is lava rock. The sponges, on the other hand, are meant to trap dirt and keep it from clogging the bio-filter media.
John

Ask a Question