Filter Media

Reaction score
Okay, so I have everything i need for my new skippy filter except the media. I am having a hard time deciding what to use. I have read to use dura cool pads, scrubber pads, batting, and other things but am not sure what the best choice is. Any thoughts?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no batting..it clogs fairly easily, but makes a good 'fines' filter for pulling out floating debris..i have a seperate pump and small fines filter i run for a couple days every 2 / 3 weeks. works great!! scrubbies work great, the cut to fit furnace filter pads, irrigation tubing, soda straws even. anything plastic that has surface area.(the more the better.) and will allow water to flow thru and around it.

Reaction score
I agree with Koiguy. I use all of those things and deer netting from Lowes. Its pretty cheap and fills a lot of space. I also use quilt batting for a fines filter for a few day a month. I run it with a seperate pump and through a shopping basket that I "borrowed".

Reaction score
you can use strapping, which you can buy on Ebay, Same stuff they use to keep boxes all wrapped up in. I love bacti-twist. It's a marvel! I have bought too much, and would be willing to sell a bagful if you want it.

Reaction score
The first pic is of the netting and the second is a pic of it in my filter.

Attachments

• P1010019-1.jpg
    P1010019-1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 330
  • P1010022-1.jpg
    P1010022-1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 334
Reaction score
Just bought a bunch of tile for the house and the tile people gave me a whole bunch of strapping! Do I need to cut it up?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
No, if you are going to use it in you bio filter, just roll it up then turn it loose in the filter so it opens up. The surface area is going to start populating with anerobic bacteria as soon as it is exposed to the pond water passing by it. the more chaos the better so the water has a little interference passing through it.

Ask a Question