Filter Media

Reaction score
Starting to get some supplies together for my pond. Any advice on how often I should replace the filter media in both my top waterfall box, as well as the pump box???

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have three 1 1/4 in thick filters(poly-flow) that are kind of pie shaped. I was under the impression that they needed to be replaced each year, but maybe I am wrong. Is is possible that I should just take them out and hose them off and reuse them again???

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
usually thats the case.. but that doesnt sound like alot of media...you alwats want as much media as you can fit reasonably in the filter. the more media the larger the bacterial colony...

Reaction score
Thanks very much. Currently I have those three pie shaped filter media, as well as two bags of lava rock in filter bags. I don't think I could get anything else in the box. As it sits right now, the lava rocks are very close to the surface of the water.

I guess I will just take them out and hose them down, and then reuse. Sounds good to me. And a savings too. :) That stuff is expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
My question is along the same line. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have a net inside my wier that catches leaves and larger pieces of debris. At least weekly, I empty the net and hose down the pads. Does this do more harm than good?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
When you do rinse them just use a few buckets of pond water

Reaction score
Another added part to filter media and such. I have two bags of lava rock in my top filter box. How often does this need to be replaced??? If I can't find lava rock, what is a sufficient substitute???

Thanks.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
lava rock gets stopped up very easy
it would be better to loose them and add some other media
Like cut up pipe , strapping , or skippy pads

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Sorry I hadn't responded earlier, but I was trying to conquer some other pond issues. Please see my other thread. I have now replaced my lava rock with Bio-balls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I have lava rocks in the fountain filter and seem to have less trouble than the original foam that came with the filter. Have a weir with foam and scrubbies. Now I just read about the laundry basket and I may have to do that this week. I am in full sun and none of my leafy plants are out yet to cover the surface. Water has not been clear for several days now.

Ask a Question