filter/pump question

Reaction score
I bought a pond kit at my local homedepot, model #lck535. Will the filter in this kit do the job, it's just a sponge on a pump? The pump/filter shoots water out the top like a foutain, will this be enough. I do plan on putting some fish and plants in the pond. The liner size is 16-12, my depth will be about 24" at the deepest side, and maybe 18" at the lower side. I would like to add a waterfall next year, if this can be done after the pond is up and running? Or does the waterfall have to be planed and installed now?

Reaction score
You can add the waterfall later, you will just want to have an idea where you want it to be. That will make it easier for when you do add it.

I'm not exactly sure what filter you are talking about, but just a sponge over the pump won't cut it. I had some similar pumps with my old pond, and I had to clean them every couple of days, and that still wouldn't keep the water clear.

I'd add a good DIY biofilter.

Reaction score
Here's some info on the pump/filter. 550 gph @ 1 ft. lift. They are calling it a pre-filter, a pump pre-filter? Model #g535ag20. Do you think i would get away with using this until next spring? I just don't have the cash right now, i thought this "complete pond kit" was all i need to get started? What's a DIY bio filter? Would/could this come with a waterfall kit?

Reaction score
It will work until spring. Can't say that your water will stay clear. The "prefilter" is just protecting the filter. The problem is that sponge will get clogged up pretty quickly, starving your pump of water.

You won't want your pump on bottom also, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 the way up, so if something happens your pump won't pump your pond dry.

The kit will get your started, but just like anything you purchase ... the basic starting kit isn't always the ideal setup.

A biofilter can be made fairly cheap, with a 5 gallon pail or some plastic tote. A lot of members here have done them, so a lot of good advice out there.

Reaction score
Yes, i see they are using a 55 gallon plastic drum. If i were to do something like this could i somehow direct the water coming back into the pond to a waterfall? If so, where can i find/see instructions on how to do this? Would i have to buy a waterfall kit?

Thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
with the one ft lift, this year you might stick with the 5 gal bucket,,, which would be a great improvement, over foam. water falls can be added any time you are ready .

Reaction score
The best way would be to have the pump pump the water into the bottom of the filter, whether it is a 55 gallon or 5 gallon pail. The water would be forced through your different filter medias then flow out the top. Would be something similar to my filter.

SkippyFilter800.jpg

I pump the water though the pipe, then to the bottom of the filter. You would want to add a spout at the bottom to flush your filter. I'd put lava rock in the bottom, then another type of media, then some sponges, or floss type of filter media.

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. kirscp, about how many gallons does that container hold? Is that something homedepot, lowes, or my hardware store might carry? It looks heavy duty. So water is coming in at the top, going to the bottom, coming back to the top through filters material. Where is the pipe directing water flow back into your pond. close to the top? Are you using this as a waterfall also?

Reaction score
Okay, here's what's going on with my pond project. kirscp, i couldn't find a tub like the one you are using. So searching alittle more on this forum i found the samething done with a 55 gallon drum. I'm using a 44 gallon rubbermaid garbage can the same way. My pond size is 10' by 6' by about 18" deep through out. What size pump would i need?

Reaction score
With your dimensions, I come up with just under 700 gallons.

My biofilter, which in the above photo isn't done. I added two 3" holes to flow into my waterfalls. My container is 100 gallons, for my 5,000 gallon pond. So, your can should work just fine.

As far as the pump, the 550gph pump should work just fine. I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Reaction score
Any ideas on types of filter media to use at the top. Got the bucket at the bottom, then the garbage can lid next,with all those holes. Then i'm using irriagation tubing 1/2" or 3/4", at about 1-1/2" long. Can i use kitchen sponges? Maybe someone can give me some ideas. Trying to keep it easy to clean. Maybe something that can be found at my local hardware store?
Thanks

Reaction score
I used some of those round power flower wax stripping pads. I cut them up and put them into my skippy filter. That seemed to me the most reasonable priced "sponges" I would find. You might not have to even cut them, could just overlap them in a circle.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i did buy two boxes of skippy pads,,,they are cut 3.5 x 6 inches...they work good...the space around them is what helps...i dont clean them ,i just drain the waste out the bottom, and close the drain.

Ask a Question