Filter question

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 17 and I built a pond last year. I have made my own homemade filter that works pretty well. It's a bucket of lava rock, and water hyacinth on the top. The water flows through it, and out of a spout on the top. Do you think this filter is sufficient enough for my small pond? I have 4 goldfish and 2 koi.

For pics and videos of my pond you can see my website, jakespond.co.nr

Thanks for your time! I love my fish, they eat right out of my hand. It's such a joy.

Reaction score
Hey Jake,
Good job on the pond! I think your filter is just fine for the size of pond you have. My pond is approx. 1200 gallons. Last year I had a 20 gallon container of lava rock, with hyacinth, as a filter for my pond. It worked fine. My pond is 3ft deep and you could see to the bottom. This year I built a new filter out of a 55 gallon drum.
Happy Ponding

Reaction score
Thanks :bowdown: The idea seemed pretty simple to me, and so far, it's worked great. Wasn't sure if problems would arise later or not.

I wish I knew how many gallons my pond was. It was given to me, so there wasnt a tag or anything that tells me. And I'm not too good with formulas...

Reaction score
All you need is to post the Width, Length and depth of your pond and we can figure out a rough idea.

If its deeper in one area than another then tell us both number so we can average the two..

Thanks
--Craig

Reaction score
Hope this helps :bowdown: I measured up to the water level.

Attachments

• pond size.JPG
    pond size.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
I came up with roughly 145 gallons.. Used these for my calcs..

Measurements in FEET

length - 5.4
Width - 3
depth - 1.2

Formula - Length x width x depth x 7.5 = gallons (square ponds)

Hope this helps... Someone else can check my math..

--Craig

Reaction score
Okay I have a new question, with my filter, should I ever clean the laval rock? Or is there important bacteria in them?

Reaction score
I would not clean the lava rock, unless it is getting clogged up and hampering the filter.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
hay jake i had lava rocks at one time,,i would open my drain valve, then pour in a five gal bucket of pond water ,fast to clean it

Reaction score
Thanks for the info :D

I don't have a backflush or anything. If I were to clean it, I'd just have to take it out, and rinse out the lava rock.

Thanks again!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You don't want to kill the anerobic bacteria. So use pond water for your rinse and make sure the rocks are not left to dry or without circulation for long.

Ask a Question