Filter recomendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ladies and gentlemen I have 2 ponds 10ft by 9ft this year I will be joining them together and making them deeper so and bit bigger so pond is planned to be 25ft by 10ft by 7ft deep I am looking for a hassle free filter system what is the general consensus on the best filtration system to use ?
I am currently running a 6 bay vortex system

many thanks in advance
Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like one heck of a pond when you are done.

I only use plants and gravel (bog type) to filter, so can't really help with the filter systems you buy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same here - pond is bog filtered only. But I'd sure love to see your ponds! Post some pictures!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1567350259827.gif
@madscuba

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Same here - pond is bog filtered only. But I'd sure love to see your ponds! Post some pictures!
I am very sceptical on bog filtration because at some point, they get overloaded and send toxins into the pond killing the fish, I may be wrong but that is what I am led to believe. I could post photos of my ponds but the reason I am changing it is because things have changed over time and the ponds are not in the best condition ie 1 has been left as a natural pond and the other has rotting decking all around and has a temporary 6 bay vortex filter sitting on top of the deck so are not the prettiest of ponds so I don't feel there worth posting . many thanks for your help so far

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Several members here filter fairly large ponds with a bog system.....I think if properly done you wouldn't have a problem.

If you have a dedicated koi pond and want the latest and greatest filtration, I think that would be a RDF ( rotating drum filter ) plumbed to a shower filter.

Years of ponding has led me to believe there is no such thing as a "hassle free filtration system " LOL :love:

Reaction score
It seems that folk that are bog filtering aren’t feeding much to limit the inputs into the pond loop. If you are planning on daily feedings then a filter system that removes the input is needed.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I can't vouch for the longevity of the bog (built less than a year ago), but there are many here who can. My bog works incredibly well, and needs virtually zero maintenance. Was cheap to build too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Go with a bog filter.
There's plenty of research on this forum.
I've been procrastinating on adding a bog filter to mine. I just got to get my lazy butt motivated.
I wish I had known about bog filters when I built my pond. It's the best way to go. Zero maintenance. Many here have had them running for several years without any clean-outs or rebuilds. No rinsing of filter pads. No slowing down of water due to clogged filter pads.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Totally agree with above posts. I have a bog on one pond and added a small (150 gal) to my 2nd pond this year. Maintenance free other than thinning out plants. I have actually shut down some of my extra filtration due to the bog plants yellowing due to lack of nutrients.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am very sceptical on bog filtration because at some point, they get overloaded and send toxins into the pond killing the fish,
My bog type filter has been running for over 9 years, never cleaned. Fish very healthy and alive.
I wish I had known about bog filters when I built my pond.
10 years ago I researched monster koi/pond builds, before building my non monster pond. All of them avocated using a bog. I have used bogs for years but small ones, this one is nice and big.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It seems that folk that are bog filtering aren’t feeding much to limit the inputs into the pond loop. If you are planning on daily feedings then a filter system that removes the input is needed.
I have gone through spells where I feed a lot, to spells where I don't. Makes no difference to the pond.

The only reason I feed lightly is so they will eat eggs as they are laid.

Right now I have over 100 fish way over if I could count the fast swimming critters.
The bog takes care of 9 ponds, 11 if I count some small ones. All in the same water loop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'd like to run a combination of filtration, continue to use my sand & gravel filter and add a small bog. I have 4 adult koi in 1700 gallons and feed once a day, a good quality food. Supposedly the sand & gravel filter is a no brainier, but my media clogged :( I did have a complicating factor in that I was missing an "O" ring in a connection for part of the summer, so I'm sure this contributed to the media clogging.

Reaction score
Hi Ladies and gentlemen I have 2 ponds 10ft by 9ft this year I will be joining them together and making them deeper so and bit bigger so pond is planned to be 25ft by 10ft by 7ft deep I am looking for a hassle free filter system what is the general consensus on the best filtration system to use ?

many thanks in advance
Dave

Shalom, might consider 2-3 each 55 gallon plastic drums - parallel or in series filled filter media - I use small pond pebbles, pea gravel, chicken grit for fine filtering - disadvantage is the stone in a drum gets heavy . I've been looking, though not seriously, for some other light weight media. What ever you decide the cost of adequate valving, quick connections, room/space for accessing may be a bit costly up front but value for easy maintenance is WELL worth some expense - at 77 it's nice to only have to clean a filter 2-3 times a year( learning to do things smarter). I live in Atlanta and keep my pumps running year around. I'm not familar with your filter system. I just like to build my own stuff when I can; to me, that's part of the fun and challenge. Good from the pond bottom suction stub or bottom drain to me id critical , learned the hardway.. Like the old sayng" pay me now or pay me later" here "pay" means money but more in time and effort to maintain. So consider unions and cam lock type connections.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

many thanks in advance
Dave

Is this a dedicated koi pond??? Mine is and I run the following in the 5000 gallon model for a 2000 gallon pond. I use the prefilter aside from a savio full size skimmer and 2 uv's. I swear buy this. As far as bogs, I don't have the room and for dedicated koi, I just don't know.

Depending on your pond gallon size, you'll be a few sizes up ...

Ask a Question