Filter replacement, any suggstions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looking at replacing the filter system we've had since we put the pond in, going on 6 years. Its an Aquascape, ultrakleen series. Our pond is approx. 1000 gallons and has a waterfall running down into it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
why not go on you tube and check out build your own .Pondfilter.com has some nice ones .I preferr to build my own .A tote and lava rock and a tank adapter and done .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
From google: http://www.pondusa.com/filter3t.htm it looks like it's an out of pond filter. I would put it so that you use the least amount of hose and somewhere where it's convenient for you to clean it and not an eyesore.

But I kinda agree with the other 2 guys. I don't like pressurized filters, not easy to maintain and may not be adequate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have yet to see or hear of a pressurized filter not smelling like a sewer when opened up .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tells you a lot when they are all discontinued doesn't it .I have seen the same thing on other sights that say they discontinued there pressurized filters .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
That's because it's a sewer! But people still buy them because they're sold in stores. I've thought about manufacturing some DIY kit but I thought that people would just go and DIY it themselves. But now that I think about it, maybe it isn't such a bad idea because there are plenty of newbies around who would just go ahead and buy them at the store.
sissy said:
I have yet to see or hear of a pressurized filter not smelling like a sewer when opened up .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the feedback. I am a newbie, sorta. I checked the DIY filters online and they look like a pretty simple concept. The only thing I'm wondering is my pond is only 1000 gallons and the filter I have right now, is easy to hide, seals on top and is buried partway into the ground to conceal it some. I don't see how you can do this with the diy filters. At least I haven't found one.
fyi: Our filter is gross when you have to clean it. My husband does it and hes having to clean it more and more it seems. Would be awesome, and i'm sure he would appreciate it, if he didn't have to clean it all the time!

Thks~

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
It can be done, but you'll need to do some research. I'd recommend a Skippy, but use K2 or bioballs instead of mats.

Ask a Question