Filter Size

Reaction score
I'm about to increase my pond size to approximately just over 1000 gallons (according to various calulators) and I'm not sure what size filter to use. I plan on using a 1000gph pump because i want to build up a bigger waterfall and I've researched quite a few filters (looking for a pressure/external) All of the filters in the 1000 gallon range, have a max flow rate usually much lower then the pump that I've chosen.

I'm pretty sure I can simply adjust the flow rate with a ball valve to the filter and utilize a "t" to get the full 1000gph to my waterfall but my question is, would it be ok if I just went up to a 2500 gallon or so filter that accepts a higher flow rate??????

My pond now is around 250 -300 gallons with a light load of 1 good size koi (13-15 inches) and 3 smaller goldfish (6-8inches). It gets a good mix throughout the day of sun and shade and so far, I've always been able to enjoy crystal clear water.......

Thanks for any advice:100::100::100:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you can divert water at the fall ,to go over the fall ,or thru the filter ,look at the 55 gal drum filter....it is the size you need , to keep clear water

Reaction score
i wanted to stay away from something that big becuase of a small yard with limited pond space.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
its real not that big...DrDave built a water fall around his ..it gave him a filter and water wall height.....

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Just because you use a 55 gallon drum, does not mean you have to have a large area for a waterfall. It does not have to cascade. It can be a virtual drop to the pond.

I just visited a pond where the owner has a 900 gallon Hospital pond and the only way he could get clear water was the 55 gallon Bio filter drum. BTW, he also added a UV and regrets it didn't improve what the 55 gallon drum did by itself. He realizes now that it was an un-necessary expense.

This person has prize winning Koi at the Annual Del Mar Koi Show. He also bought 5 baby Koi from me. Maybe one will get a ribbon in time.:banana:

Ask a Question