Filter Size

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Folks, first post here.

I have an approximately 8,000 gallon koi pond. I can get a really good deal on a Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 20000 Filter. This filter is meant for ponds between 10K-20K gallons. My question is what would be the downside of using this filter with my 8K gallon pond? I was thinking one of the downsides would be the amount of water I'd need to use to backwash and rinse the system but at the same time, I imagine I would not have to clean the filter as often. What do you think and are there any other reasons not to go with this size?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Don’t really see any down side, the amount of water to back flush something to me isn’t really a down side.

Always better to have more filtration especially if it is a DKP and it is your primary source of filtration. IE no bog or much plants in the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-10-9_10-3-46.gif
@boombyea

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just have to replenish the water with city water so it costs me per gallon.
I look at it this way the amount of time the pond keeps me home sitting chatting and not going out to dinner or just going out due to boredom , more then makes up for the cost of the hobby. Not to mention the over all beauty of having the water feature in the back yard and the crazy colors of the koi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I have no experience with them, but can't see using it on a smaller pond would cause any issues.

Ask a Question