Filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got my tub filter up and running, intake in bottom front corner 2 inch outtake in top front. I added used very dirty quilt batting out of another filter I'm using. And clean filter medium. How long should it take to clear the water?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and water temp can effect the time also .I used koi clay to help my pond .It clouded it for 2 days and then it was crystal clear .But I was in a rush because of the fish needing to be put back in .A dog ripped my liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
and water temp can effect the time also .I used koi clay to help my pond .It clouded it for 2 days and then it was crystal clear .But I was in a rush because of the fish needing to be put back in .A dog ripped my liner

Yeah, but I just wonder howto be sure, that after those cloud water it's gonna be clear. Simply wait?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot of times just waiting works great. Keep the filter media cleaned

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any way, there are a lot of concerns about choosing a filters, and how to choose the best pond filter, to be sure that it will not make worse for water and for fishes' health as well. What do you think about ultraviolet bulbs for cleaning? Would you recommend them? I mean, all these ultraviolet rays, wouldn't they hurt fish?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Any way, there are a lot of concerns about choosing a filters, and how to choose the best pond filter, to be sure that it will not make worse for water and for fishes' health as well. What do you think about ultraviolet bulbs for cleaning? Would you recommend them? I mean, all these ultraviolet rays, wouldn't they hurt fish?
No, filters with UV bulbs built into them Don’t work like that, they are in line in the filter system so water must be pumped through the housing containing the bulb. Your fish aren’t exposed directly to the bulb, also UV bulbs only really have a use in treating green water in ponds, even then to me aren’t the preferred method as it treats the symptom and not the source of the problem, excess nutrients. The uv light can indiscriminately kill anything that passes by it including beneficial micro organisms, that help establish the base of the food web in the pond.

So, I personally don’t use them nor would recommend one. I prefer to keep it simple and let plants work as the filter in my ponds.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The koi clay adds lots of great minerals to the water that the fish really need .It buffers the water really well .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like jhn said UV sterilzers have there place but they kill both good and bad they do not discriminate. while it does kill the plant cells that is green algae /water it also kills what is feeding on the algae in microorganisms. Once that occurs then there is the abundance of food that the algae started to grow from and now has the dead algae and the dead micro organisms. it's a vicious circle, The best filter system can not guarantee clarity and success when the worst maintenance routines are practiced. The hardest part to a natural pond is Patience while most ponds in the spring go through green algae stages once the plants get established they can out compete the algae for the nutrients.
While the batting can remove the algae it depends on how big your pump is how many gph your pushing through the batt filter and how big is your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
As others stated if you did not spill anything Foreign into the pond it will clear its self.
It all depends on GPH and size of pond.
if my water is completely murky can’t see at all. Like when I first filled it.
It took a week to clear up at about 2000GPH
The pond is about 16-1800g.
But I also run fine like 3- 1 micron filter pads plus other stuff

Ask a Question