filter

Reaction score
Ok next week i'm on vacation and i'm gonna move my filter. It will be 15ft away from the pond near the shed and about 25ft from the pump. Now for the questions.
Comments and ideas welcome.
1) should I stay with the 1 1/2 inch pipe from the pump or increase it to 2" ( 1 1/2 inches is the minimum for max flow according to the instructions. Don't know why because the outlet is only 3/4" and can't be increased like most pumps)
2) Do i need 3" pipe from the 1st barrel to the second or will 2" work (don't want it to overflow)
3) Will the bucket idea work.
4) By my calculations I will be at 4ft of head between the length of run and the rise. ( this is the reason I show the pipe going into the bottom of the 1st barrel.

filter-1.jpg

Reaction score
i would stick with 2" pipe all around if you can. You've got quite a few 90 degree angles in the picture and I'm not sure if they're legit or not, but go with soft 90 ells to reduce friction instead wherever you can.

I'm not clear on what you said about the outlet being 3/4", but you can upsize from 3/4 inch to any size you want with the right sized barbs or connector. I'm not clear if you're using pvc or flex pipe, tho. You may struggle to find a connector in your local HD or Lowe's but can find virtually any size online or sometimes at bigger plumbing supply shops.

Guess we may need a bit more details.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I ran 1 1/2 off my 4200 gpm pipe for the max flow, i was able to cut the adapters off the pump to bring the pump up to a full 1 1/2 outlet.
You didn't say the size of your pump,,
2" outlets will make you restrict your incomming water

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you had better put a check valve on your line from the pump so if for any reason your pump stops...your first barrel wont back flush into the pond.

Reaction score
Ok I'll try to answer some of your questions. I was gonna use long sweep ells but i can use 2, 45 degree ells in place to ease the flow. As for my pump its front is all one piece up to a threaded 3/4 male adaptor.(no resizing it) heres a picture. I like the check valve idea because as myfilter sits now it gets siphoned back when i turn the pump off.
My pump is 1100gph

100_0205.jpg

Ask a Question