Filtering in the Settlement Tank - Thoughts

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I borrowed some tips from Koi Pond building and put a bottom drain in my pond when I build it. I have been playing with filtration to get the water even clearer. I'm overstocked with fish because they are reproducing, but I don't want to cull them, so I'm increasing my filtration.

I just cleaned out the settlement tanks (I use one for the skimmer, one for the bottom drain, and each one has it's own pump). I've been using "filter soc"s from the pool store on the intake tubes. I had to swap it on the bottom drain's soc after an hour, it pulled so much crap out at first when it rushed in.

I did some annual maintenance and saw how much sludge there is at the bottom of the settlement tanks (which makes sense, that's their job). I'd like to add some more filtration there, so I'm adding a small aeration pump to add air to the bottom of both tanks/buckets. I was also thinking of adding plastic bio balls to the buckets - because I figure they are easy to swap and clean periodically.

My primary filtration is a bog system fed from the skimmer. My secondary filtration is the bottom drain that feeds a commercial system (Oase Biosmart 1600) that feeds into an Aquascape Urn filter that is filled with biofiltration. I consider the bog "primary" because it's job is keep the water "safe for fish" while the secondary's job is to keep it "clear for humans to enjoy."

Any thoughts on adding biological filtration (plastic bio balls) and aeration to the settlement tank?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I think removing the solids before they break down and are processed by the bio filter is the best, especially in a crowded system. Decreased filter load and the end result: nitrates. If you can add filtration while doing so, go for it. At some point though,without culling, your system will reach a limit, possibly affecting the health of your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I think removing the solids before they break down and are processed by the bio filter is the best, especially in a crowded system. Decreased filter load and the end result: nitrates. If you can add filtration while doing so, go for it. At some point though,without culling, your system will reach a limit, possibly affecting the health of your fish.
I know. It's just hard to go and kill my little fish.

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
I borrowed some tips from Koi Pond building and put a bottom drain in my pond when I build it. I have been playing with filtration to get the water even clearer. I'm overstocked with fish because they are reproducing, but I don't want to cull them, so I'm increasing my filtration.

I just cleaned out the settlement tanks (I use one for the skimmer, one for the bottom drain, and each one has it's own pump). I've been using "filter soc"s from the pool store on the intake tubes. I had to swap it on the bottom drain's soc after an hour, it pulled so much crap out at first when it rushed in.

I did some annual maintenance and saw how much sludge there is at the bottom of the settlement tanks (which makes sense, that's their job). I'd like to add some more filtration there, so I'm adding a small aeration pump to add air to the bottom of both tanks/buckets. I was also thinking of adding plastic bio balls to the buckets - because I figure they are easy to swap and clean periodically.

My primary filtration is a bog system fed from the skimmer. My secondary filtration is the bottom drain that feeds a commercial system (Oase Biosmart 1600) that feeds into an Aquascape Urn filter that is filled with biofiltration. I consider the bog "primary" because it's job is keep the water "safe for fish" while the secondary's job is to keep it "clear for humans to enjoy."

Any thoughts on adding biological filtration (plastic bio balls) and aeration to the settlement tank?
My bog is the only filtration system for a 1500 gal pond with too many Koi and goldfish. It keeps the water very clear except with the fish are spawning, which only lasts a few days. However, the top of my bog accumulates muck which I can drain off when it gets about 1" thick. I pressure wash the pea gravel and all of the muck runs out of a side discharge and not into the pond. I can backwash the bog, which I have done several times and probably should do it again, but not yet. I also have a screen type filter around my submersible pump which I have to pull out of the pond and clean several times of the year, which gets rid of most of the crud that normally accumulates in the pond itself. Just FYI. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I backwash my bog occasionally, because it's easy. The bog absolutely does the core work of keeping every in good shape. I think that the filters are clogging too fast and not pulling enough crap out right now. I just figure whatever I can do to make it less work the better.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Bio balls I would think would be fine as long as you keep them off the bottom and it doesn’t accelerate the water flow in there.

As for aeration, I wouldn’t do that as the point of the settlement tank is the flow/water movement lessens in there, which is what lets the crap settle out. If you add agitation of some sort it will keep said crap from settling out, just my opinion

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's just hard to go and kill my little fish.

Well there are options other than killing them.

But just be aware - that's the only option open to Nature. Your fish can't pick up and move elsewhere if it gets too crowded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Before I rehomed my four koi last Sept. I would drain the pond once a year and remove all the babies to keep the fish load in balance. I had luck for a number of years giving them to neighbors, then found a local nursery that had a large outdoor pond and would take them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with @Jhn as anything in the settling chamber in a smaller bog will increase water flow. The more you add in the chamber the more the flow will increase. Defeating the purpose of a settling chamber.
I'm adding a small aeration pump to add air to the bottom of both tanks/buckets. I was also thinking of adding plastic bio balls to the buckets - because I figure they are easy to swap and clean periodically.
Now is this the settling chamber of a bog or is this a settling area with vertical socks inside a bucket/ trash can. If the latter , it sounds more like your thinking of making a fluid bed . They are kept moving by aeration. This is a proven filter with the nexus and rdf filters. It gives the floating media extra o2 thus allowing for bacteria to thrive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I agree with @Jhn as anything in the settling chamber in a smaller bog will increase water flow. The more you add in the chamber the more the flow will increase. Defeating the purpose of a settling chamber.

Now is this the settling chamber of a bog or is this a settling area with vertical socks inside a bucket/ trash can. If the latter , it sounds more like your thinking of making a fluid bed . They are kept moving by aeration. This is a proven filter with the nexus and rdf filters. It gives the floating media extra o2 thus allowing for bacteria to thrive.

You are correct, it's not really a settling chamber.

Two Systems:
I have a pool skimmer. The pipe feeds into a bucket (via suction/gravity). Water comes in near the top of the bucket. At the bottom of the bucket is a pump. The pump feeds the bogs (it's actually split 3 ways into 3 resin containers that spill in, it's really pretty).

Bottom drain, feeds into a second bucket (suction/gravity). Pump from there goes into an Oase Biosmart 1600 (UVC + 3 Sponges). The outflow from the Oase Biosmart feeds into a Aquascape Urn. The Urn filter has lots of biomaterials.

So it's not a true settling chamber. The pumps are around 500 GPH. (I buy whatever has a 3/4" FPT outflow, so I can pipe it into my 1" flex PVC system). It's really a pre-filter. I've been playing with adding mechanical filtration there, at the beginning. I thought about flowing air in, thinking that Mechanical Filter + Air Bubbles and Bioballs will get some filtration there. There is still more filtration to go. I assume filtering is good, muck is bad.

My "pond" is overstocked for a pond, understocked for an aquarium. At 270 gallons, in many ways it's a large aquarium vs. a true pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
PICTURES say the whole story.

Sounds like to me that you want K1 MEDIA and not bio balls , there are two sizes. They are starting to use that as a polisher one is called the Tempest. The other filter your closely resembling is the Nexus or a RDF with a K1 Floating bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States

So I added more mechanical filtration… plus the air bubbles in the filter buckets. Going to replace/upgrade the media there at some point…

But that’s crystal clear water.

Definitely want to add more carbon filtration though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You certainly care for your animals i wish more folks did

Ask a Question