filters

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an approximately 3500 gal pond.I had a laguna pressurized filter.I think I can do better.Does anybody have suggestions?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used stock tanks and tank adapters and lava rock ,old fashioned ways still work
100_7318.JPG
100_8311 (1).JPG
100_8312 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm thinking about building a sand and gravel filter, from a 55 gallon barrel, over the winter. I plan to use it as mechanical filtration, prior to a shower filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sand does clog up fast and can smell pretty bad .I keep plants in my lava rock filters and never have had a problem with them .I do have to trim the roots on the plants .My neighbor had a barrel filter until it fell over and almost killed her fish .Hers is now set up like mine .Easy it leaks it runs right back into the pond ,less worry for me .That helps me in a major way

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I built my filters and no skimmer and no bottom drain .2 filters one on each end of the pond and good old fashioned lava rock .Good enough for my dad good enough for me .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I'm thinking about building a sand and gravel filter, from a 55 gallon barrel, over the winter. I plan to use it as mechanical filtration, prior to a shower filter.
Curious if you have built the sand and gravel filter. I am considering building one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Curious if you have built the sand and gravel filter. I am considering building one
I'm just getting started. I've sourced material, but then lucked out and found a food grade barrel last week, for $30 on Craigslist :)

I'm planning on starting it up in March, fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I'm just getting started. I've sourced material, but then lucked out and found a food grade barrel last week, for $30 on Craigslist :)

I'm planning on starting it up in March, fingers crossed!
Are you following the design described by birdman from Koiphen website. I've read his long thread and another s/g build thread on that site. They all rave about the polishing and increased bio filtration. Maybe you would consider a build thread on this site. Keep me updated. I'm looking to build one early to mid spring.
One answer I could not find is how it holds up in the winter? My weather is similiar to yours.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sand & Gravel filters are great when used as supplemental filtration to 'polish' water. They are typically not used for primary biofiltration because the small void space between the sand and gravel media clogs quite readily unless an air supply is incorporated creating a quasi-floating bed filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Sand & Gravel filters are great when used as supplemental filtration to 'polish' water. They are typically not used for primary biofiltration because the small void space between the sand and gravel media clogs quite readily unless an air supply is incorporated creating a quasi-floating bed filter.
The 2 build threads I read recommend this system placed after mechanical filtration for larger particles and using a air blower once a week to flush . Kent Wallace's build thread addresses this filters ability to stand alone for bio filtration based on the large surface area created by the media. I'm sure this is dependant practicing good maintenance..

Ask a Question