FILTERS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,I am looking for some advice please,I have 2 filters on my pond and have koi and goldfish in there,anyway touch wood everything is fine at the moment,the problem is when I clean the filters out,in summer I do it twice a month,in winter every 4/5 weeks,They are due a clean now,to tell the truth I am not looking forward to it because it is so cold out there,The filters are the ones where the water rise's up though the 3 different sponges and back into the pond,To clean them out means taking the lid off and pulling the sponges from it and then washing each sponge in turn in buckets of pond water,6 sponges all told and about 15 buckets of pond water,so the question is what do you think about these new pressurised filters where you just throw a switch and turn a handle to clean it out,Thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello Delboy- Not sure how cold it gets in your area but the pressure filters are prone to freezing and cracking. They are fine with a very light fish load but can clog and need to be cleaned every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We had a pressurized filter crack during the winter :(

When I had a filter with a series of sponges, I never bothered trying to clean them in buckets of pond water, just used the hose and blasted them. Yes, I know that's chlorinated water, but I honestly believe there is plenty of good bacteria in an established pond....and those sponge filters get very clogged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Not sure how big your pond is but the best filter there is is also the cheapest and no maintenance other than trimming plants it's a bog. You can add one to almost any pond. Post a pic of your pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had 2 of those pressure filters and they were the worst .I have used lava rock and this is the first year in 4 years that I have cleaned the one and the other one I just built last year and only reason I had to do that one was thatr I raised the side of the pond and took out the temporary filter and put in the permanent one .I have 2 stock tank filters 1 on each end of the pond and both have air stones in them and plants growing in them

Attachments

• 100_4326.JPG
    100_4326.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 100_4667.JPG
    100_4667.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 346
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for replies,don't look good for the pressure filter then,my pond is about 8ft by 6ft and about 3ft deep ,i have 2 lillys in it and it is crystal clear

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is over 5000 gallons and I had those canister filters on the pond when it was around 2000 gallons and had 2 of them with uv in both and I had to back flush them 4 or 5 times a day and they still got clogged up .I even had a regular filter on my pond at the time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you,Am I on the wrong forum I wonder????? Is there English pond keepers that have these filters,I think the climate is different over here,Thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Right forum. I haven't seen anyone from UK that use pressure filters. If your climate is not prone to deep freezes then you can use the filters but they are not as maintainence free as they advertise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right forum. I haven't seen anyone from UK that use pressure filters. If your climate is not prone to deep freezes then you can use the filters but they are not as maintainence free as they advertise.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Have you looked into making a sand and gravel filter? If you a marginally handy... and you have the space to add it.... they are great.

I'm not a pond expert.. and only have a 1000g pond, but I set up a S&G filter at the start of last fall to replace/assist the smaller pressurized filter... and have been so incredibility happy with it. You don't need to get all all mucky and haul out the hose to clean them... just hook up the blower and go to town on the media. You could do a clean out in your sunday best without issues. I hated cleaning out the pressurized filter do to the time it takes... and the guarantee of getting a bit wet and mucky.

Ask a Question