Filtration Assitance

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Hey All!

Been years since I've posted, but now I'm in need of assistance. I've always had sub-par filtration. With the addition of two more koi (now a total of 4) last Summer, the water has gotten horrible. This is my current filtration setup:

Skimmer - Debris Net>Blue Matala pad.
Waterfall - Small gravel substrate with loads of decorative rock

I've removed all the decorative rock and left the substrate. Now, this is what one of the online vendors recommended (in this order)

Skimmer - Debris net>(1) Green Matala Pad
Waterfall - (1)Black Matala Pad>(1)Green Matala Pad>BioBalls in a mesh bag

My questions are:
1. Is this sufficient
2. Can I put the Blue Matala Pad behind the Green in the skimmer for more filtration?
3. Should I forget the BioBalls and just do more Matala pads in the waterfall?

Thanks,

Lew

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Good question. I just replaced my old skimmer and waterfall box pads with Matala pads. I put 1 black, 2 green and 1 blue in waterfall box and 1 black and 1 green in skimmer with bioballs on top. I have the Aquascape small pond waterfall and skimmer plus a gravel bog with plants And a small upper pond with hornwort and red ludwigia. Looking forward to better water conditions this year.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Lew

what size is your pond? What size is your pump? How big are the koi?

you are trying to increase the specific surface area or ssa in your pond for bacteria to colonize, which will help your pond stay in balance with the increase in fish load by adding bio balls, small gravel substrate, rock.
Plants can also add a benefit not only in ssa but also the uptake of ammonia and nitrates. Add plants that grow quickly like water celery, forget me not, various iris species ( avoid common yellow one), I like to add plants that spread quickly, but can be weeded out easily to aid in nutrient removal.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
The pond is roughly 300-400 gallons. I was using a 2000 GPH solids pump, but I noticed water loss quickly (another topic), so I switched to a 1400 GPH solids pump. The waterfall area is 3 feet x 2 feet. With all the rock removed, I have 6" from the gravel to the spillover. I usually stock the pond with water lettuce and Hiacynth once they are available in my area. Koi are 4", 10", and I have two 8" shubunkins.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is a lot of fish for a small pond .My koi are over 2 feet long

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I've never measured the pond for size so I could be way off (came with the house). Any recs on calculating gallons? I can assure everyone that they are not cramped. Anyhoo, any other suggestions on filtration?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
they are not cramped

"Cramped" isn't really the concern. It's about water quality. Not trying to pick on you @Sweet Lew but you led with "I've always had sub-par filtration". I'm curious why you would add more fish to a pond that already had less than adequate filtration? And is it four koi PLUS two shubbies, or four fish total?

Getting a really useful answer to your question does rely on the information you can share - starting with a good estimate on the size of the pond. There are online calculators you can use to determine approximate gallons - I would start there. I'm also curious about your use of the term "solids pump" - is this a pump designed for pond use? When I hear "solids pump" I think sump pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
is this a pump designed for pond use? When I hear "solids pump" I think sump pump.
solids pump is an other word for a trash pump one that can usually handle debris up to I thinks its 3/8 of an inch that may be in the water. It would be nice to have a trash pump that was submereusable for pond use you wouldnt have to worry so much about clogging.

Ask a Question