Filtration Filtration Filtration

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
MY outdoor pond was about 500 gals and within 6 weeks it was stocked with 30+ fish. 15 koi 10 goldies,and 2 shubunkins 4 silver cats and a half a dozen fathead minnows, oh and 3 tancho goldfish.not to mention 3 frogs,and 15 trapadore snails. now at 8 to 10" on average except the additional 8 to10 babies, that my fish had,and survived my accidental culling,as i thinned out my hornwort. i inadvertantly threw out hundreds of fish fry,not knowing any better.but anyway,all these are in my basement pond, now and its only 450gals as of now. my water perameters are perfect all the time. my point being this: i am being told constantly "your overstocked" yet my fish are happy healthy, and thriving in ideal water conditions,because of filtration. dont let anyone ever tell you, your filter is overkill,unnecessary,or just to much. the only way to go wrong in filtration is to small.and its always nicr to know you can add fish, at will, with out worries of "can my filter handle it?" so like the pond size rule...figure out what you want and go bigger. my pond is now 1000 gallons and i have doubled my filtration,for next year,DIY upflow skippy style filter. just my thoughts...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Don't forget, your Koi will grow and then the filtration will even more important. I keep extra new pumps on hand, just in case I have a failure in any of the circulation or bio filter pumps.

I have my 8 Breeder Koi and about 25 various sized smaller Koi in my 1400 gallon arrangement which are 2 ponds connected. At some point the smaller ones will be too much for the system and I will have to find homes for them.

Some of the 2007 crop are about 10 - 12" so they will be offered when it warms up.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have one extra pump, but will have 2 this spring as i am moving up to a 1900 gph pump for the filter instead of the 1000 i currently use. also i did not mean to imply this setup will support all these fish forever. atleast 8 fish are relocating to my friends pond we are building this spring. hes already buit his filter and is buying everything else throughout the winter. my only point is a good filter will allow a larger stocking of a pond.

Ask a Question