Filtration for 700gal pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, im new here andi have had my pond for about a year now and the filter is not doing a good job keeping the water clean so i was thinking about getting a bigger filter. Any suggestions on what filter to get would be appreciated. Pond is aprox 700gals

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! Before we can share any good ideas, tell us a little more about your current set up. What are you using now to filter your pond? How many fish and what type do you have? And pictures are ALWAYS welcome! We love show and tell!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcome-wagon.gif

In addition to what Lisak1 asked, are you running any water features like a fountain or water fall?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Also let us know what filter and pump you have now.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hose lock easy clean 4500 as the filter at the moment with no water features. I had around 15 goldfish and 4 koi until yesterday when all my goldfish and two of my koi got eaten by a heron now I only have one black wild looking goldfish and two koi left so pond is pretty under stocked at the moment. I am so gutted

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn herons, I have to keep my pond netted 24/7 to keep them away from my fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, no! I am sorry to hear the heron found your pond! Word to the wise - the bird will come back until it finishes the job. Get some protection over your pond if you hope to save the rest of your fish.

pond is pretty under stocked at the moment

Having said that, at 700 gallons (was that correct?) you are really right where you should be fish wise. In fact, two koi in 700 gallons will be too much eventually if it's not now. That may explain why you felt your filter wasn't doing the job of keeping your pond clean.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The net is now on. Would I have enough room for some more goldfish at least if I get a better filtration system. The pond seems really empty now and the remaining fish don't have the courage to come up and feed anymore. I think they feel safer in higher numbers

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not really they do have babies ( LOTS OF BABIES )and my koi are now over 2 feet long and in 5000 gallons .Welcome to our group

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you tell if it has a swollen belly .If it is a girl and mating had started you may have babies .Goldfish produce like crazy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Would I have enough room for some more goldfish at least if I get a better filtration system.

Honestly what you have is more suited to a goldfish pond. If anything, I would suggest finding a new home for the koi and adding a few more goldfish. Over time they will populate your pond very nicely. If you like the colors of koi, you could get shubunkin. They are lovely calico colors with pretty fins.

I know - we all get attached to our fish, but really you will be in over your head with those koi in short order. I really wish people who sold fish were more responsible about telling people what they are getting into with koi and making sure the pond they are going home to is big enough for them now AND in the future. They get so big so fast!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
fish don't have the courage to come up and feed anymore.
Give it time. Took my fish over a week to start to come up for food after the heron came by (and then only briefly).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you tell if it has a swollen belly .If it is a girl and mating had started you may have babies .Goldfish produce like crazy
The remaining goldfish is male as it has breading stars on its gill plates also it tried to spaw with a female goldfish i used to have before the heron came

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly what you have is more suited to a goldfish pond. If anything, I would suggest finding a new home for the koi and adding a few more goldfish. Over time they will populate your pond very nicely. If you like the colors of koi, you could get shubunkin. They are lovely calico colors with pretty fins.

I know - we all get attached to our fish, but really you will be in over your head with those koi in short order. I really wish people who sold fish were more responsible about telling people what they are getting into with koi and making sure the pond they are going home to is big enough for them now AND in the future. They get so big so fast!
Thanks for the advice but I think I will plan to extend the pond in the near future and the koi I have are only small. What size pond do koi need as I love koi much more than goldfish and i am prepared to make my pond bigger for them. The pond is about 4ft deep at the moment and about 10ft wide and long as it is a circular shape. How much bigger does the pond need to be? I have lots of room around to extend it and make it bigger

Ask a Question