Filtration question -- goldfish tank

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For a goldfish tank, what have you found to be the best filtration system? By "best," I mean most efficient at converting ammonia, but also easy to maintain.

• An HOB [hang-on-back] filter
  • A canister filter

Please elaborate on brands, pros & cons -- basically, anything that will help me make a decision.

I will be housing one goldfish that's about 4" long [body length] on a permanent basis. He is a "special needs" goldfish that needs to be out of the pond. Going to start out using my 20 gal tank, but will go bigger if necessary.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I have both running on discus tank and angle fish tanks .

HOB filters have improved signifantly in filtering and maintance. I currently use Marineland and have a DIY HOB. You can easily DIY if you like projects. Maintance is easy

Canister filters can be internal or external with the latter being larger and offering more filtration . This preferred with planted tanks. I have an API FX4. For a 75 gal planted tank. My personal maintance routine is biweekly emptying the water from the canister and rinsing the sponges and bio media in tank water . I have read on other forums people going months before doing this

All that being said for a quarrentine/hospital tank all you need is a sponge filter that runs on an air pump. This also can easily be home made ,I have a DIY for a quarentine tank. Use media that is seeded with benifcal bacteria from your pond. You can search you tube to find how to DIY.
Good luck
HTH

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Gordo33 Thanks for the reply! The main issue I have with HOB filters is that [the ones I've had experience with] don't have a way to effectively adjust the water flow. I like to over-filter with a larger one than the specified tank size, but that ends up being too strong and churns the water. My only experience with a canister was when my box turtles were very young and I was keeping them inside. They aren't aquatic turtles, but still need to soak, so I had to come up with a way to give them continuous fresh water [they poop in their water -very messy] as changing a water bowl several times a day wasn't cutting it. I used an Eheim [external] canister, but left out the biomedia since this was 100% for mechanical filtration. So, no "canister" experience with fish.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
@Gordo33 Thanks for the reply! The main issue I have with HOB filters is that [the ones I've had experience with] don't have a way to effectively adjust the water flow. I like to over-filter with a larger one than the specified tank size, but that ends up being too strong and churns the water. My only experience with a canister was when my box turtles were very young and I was keeping them inside. They aren't aquatic turtles, but still need to soak, so I had to come up with a way to give them continuous fresh water [they poop in their water -very messy] as changing a water bowl several times a day wasn't cutting it. I used an Eheim [external] canister, but left out the biomedia since this was 100% for mechanical filtration. So, no "canister" experience with fish.....
I agree with over filtration for aquariums aND flow control isues with HOB Filters. For your gold fish a sponge filter would provide both mechanical and biological filtration and the air pump can be regulated with a valve.

Canister would be over kill for your situation
Google sponge filters. I have purchased products from Dr foster and smith They have good prices and good customer service.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use HOB filters as well as sponge filters on my tanks (sponge filters are in addition to for extra filtration and in case needed for quarantine or to start another tank) I run two HOB on some of the tanks in order to get 10 times GPH for tank size (the general recommendation filter size for goldfish tank is 10X what ever size the tank is) so for your 20 gallon tank 200 GPH would be the minimum recommended but more doesn't hurt)

The Aqua Clear HOB filters are nice as they don't cost a ton, give you lots of room for bio media which you can customize to your liking, and they do have a lever so that you can control water flow.

Here is a good article written by some past goldfish friends (written a while ago but still good info) it gives info on each type of filter and how to maintain it. Check it out when you have time http://thegab.org/Articles/Filtration.html

I will write more in a bit ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
The link Nepen shared is the filter I was referring to (they come in several sizes) but I think it would be too small on a twenty gallon tank. The AC 30 (150 gph) would work if you use two of them on your tank ( its the same size I run on a twenty gallon long tank) with two young goldfish.

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-30-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B00020SVDG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The link Nepen shared is the filter I was referring to (they come in several sizes) but I think it would be too small on a twenty gallon tank. The AC 30 (150 gph) would work if you use two of them on your tank ( its the same size I run on a twenty gallon long tank) with two young goldfish.

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-30-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B00020SVDG

There are many choices. Mine is the 50. It's a bit smaller since I bought it for my 35 gallon tank at first. Changed the tank but didnt change the filter, it's still fine though.

I think for TM's tank, the 50 should be plenty too.

Ask a Question