Filtration Question

djg

Reaction score
I have a roughly 300 gallon pond about 3 ft deep currently with 6 koi fish living in it. I also have a pump that is placed at the bottom of the pond which pumps the water up to the top of the waterfall, the water cascades about 2 ft long an incline through various plants (moss), and both small/large rocks into the pond. My question is would the cascade of water down the waterfall be sufficient filtration of the water? The water is rarely still, so i doubt any mosquitos would be able to breed in it. I also have water plants inside the pond (water lilys). Would that aid in the process of filtration? Or would i require a filter?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You will need a bio element to this system to remove waste and a fines filter of sorts to remove sediment. A properly made bio fiilter will do both.
Bedtime here for me.
C-Ya tomorrow

djg

Reaction score
I did some research on the type of filter you have suggested for me. I want to understand if it is possible for this filter to be above ground? (and only have a particular component exposed to the water?). My pond is too small to support a filter of that size completely submerged into the pond. Also, are there any alternative filtering products or things that will do the same job that are much smaller? Would the cascading waterfall provide any filtration of the bacteria and filth in the pond, or generate oxygen for the fish?

Reaction score
6 Koi in 300 gallons won't last long without a filter. They must be very small fish right now but at 2 feeet or more in length they won't be able to swim in 300 gallons.

Why not put a small pre-formed 30-60G pond at the top of the water fall and fill it with a media to get bacteria to grow and reduce ammonia. This is what I did on a 530G pond and it's works well.

djg

Reaction score
newday3000 said:
6 Koi in 300 gallons won't last long without a filter. They must be very small fish right now but at 2 feeet or more in length they won't be able to swim in 300 gallons.

Why not put a small pre-formed 30-60G pond at the top of the water fall and fill it with a media to get bacteria to grow and reduce ammonia. This is what I did on a 530G pond and it's works well.

If i used small pebbles or some type of moss to collect the water as it cascades would that reduce the ammonia and bacteria levels from being harmful to the fish?

Reaction score
pebbles and moss won't create a large enough surface area for bacteria to attach in large numbers to help. A bio filter is water + media with high surface density like plastic bio balls, lava rock, foam, scubby pads, ceramic rings or similer type of media). The goal is to have 10% of the ponds volume dedicated to a filter with media.

The more fish you add the higher the % of filter capacity you will need. Your fish load is high and needs a lot of media, since 6 Koi will produce a lot of ammonia. Have you measured the ammonia in the pond? It should read zero on aquarium test kits. If you have any reading at all you need to add a filter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
go to the DIY section build a 20 or 30 gallon skippy filter out of a tub or trash can.. actually a large plastic planter (you get them 40gal)and no one even has to know its a filter. if you throw a few water hiacynths or water lettuce on the top.

djg

Reaction score
28lgieh.jpg

This is my basic set up for my pond. The depth of water at the first basin (the top of the waterfall) is less than an inch. So how would you suggest I integrate the bio filter around that area? Is there suffecient room for a median to be placed there?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
djk ..if you look photo section .... under new pond ..by manic you will see in his pictures of his pond behind the water fall is a flower pot this is his bio filter (skippy) like koiguy is talking about ...you put it in line after the pump and before the waterfall ...hope this helps

djg

Reaction score
My pump retrieves the water from the base of the pond and sends it to the very top of the waterfall. It comes out that cave-like hole you see at the top. The stone above it is cemented in, so there is no possible way of sticking a flower pot/trash can there. I Was wondering if there are any other smaller, more compact filters that would work effeciently in the small pond that I have.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
can you fit a filter behind your falls. post a picture showing behind your falls and from the sides... or just buy a pressure filter and locate it any where you want you can bury it and it will still function.. just leave the top accessable for flushing it. if your posting pix take them in the daylight this time so we can see

djg

Reaction score
Ok.. would i be able to send the water from the intake hose to an external filter outside of the pond, then pump the water from the external filter towards the top of the waterfall? Is that what you're saying?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes... if its a pressurised filter you can put it anywhere you want externally . if you build a filter like ours the outlet just has to be higher than the falls.. it will gravity feed to the falls...you dont need a second pump...the filter feeds from the top goes to the bottom and back up to the outlet and to your falls. thats why i said take pix of behind your falls so we can let you know what would be good to use as a filter housing. and take them in the daylight so we can see...

Ask a Question