filtration setup

Reaction score
So here is what I'm thinking.... 2- 50 gallon barrels for the filtration and a 150 rubbermaid tub for the waterfall.
roughly 2500 gallons, 3.5 deep end 2 feet shallow side.
here are my questions:
2" Flex hose or hard pvc?
laguna max flo 2900 or should I go with an external?
pump feed both barrels via a y fitting then 2 seperate lines into the rubbermaid tub?
50 gallon drums in ground 75%?

Am I overdoing it?

Reaction score
So here is what I'm thinking.... 2- 50 gallon barrels for the filtration and a 150 rubbermaid tub for the waterfall.
roughly 2500 gallons, 3.5 deep end 2 feet shallow side.
here are my questions:
2" Flex hose or hard pvc?
laguna max flo 2900 or should I go with an external?
pump feed both barrels via a y fitting then 2 seperate lines into the rubbermaid tub?
50 gallon drums in ground 75%?

Am I overdoing it?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its never to much on your filter..
With a 2500 gal pond ..the 150 gal stock tank ... would make a great Skippy filter itself and really would be plenty big enough and then some to keep your pond nice
and clean

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its never to much on your filter..
With a 2500 gal pond ..the 150 gal stock tank ... would make a great Skippy filter itself and really would be plenty big enough and then some to keep your pond nice
and clean

PS3

Reaction score
keep the drums above the ground because if it snows where u live you will wannabring the drums in for the winter.like Dr case said never to much for a filter.the laguna max flo is a nice pump but dont buy in to the hype they cant clog.because they can.and if you do use this pump put a mesh bag around it. to keep out the bigger crud. somebody else can help u better with the
external pump question.

PS3

Reaction score
keep the drums above the ground because if it snows where u live you will wannabring the drums in for the winter.like Dr case said never to much for a filter.the laguna max flo is a nice pump but dont buy in to the hype they cant clog.because they can.and if you do use this pump put a mesh bag around it. to keep out the bigger crud. somebody else can help u better with the
external pump question.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
phillyofish said:
so then I guess I would be using rubber connector sleeves to make easy removal of the drums.

We are using some rubber connectors also to facilitate changes as we build and winterizing.

Ask a Question