Filtration without waterfall box

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newbie pond enthusiast building in the middle of my smallish yard so I dont want to build a volcano-looking waterfall. Plan is to build 10' x 7' kidney pond with the deeper end backed by a lightly curved 8-10 foot long shale wall 20" tall at its center with a 15" black plastic wier returning water to the pond (ive read to not use stainless with fish). Excavated dirt to backfill the wall sloped back to surrounding ground level. I want to include a skimmer but am not sure how / where to set up a non-waterfall filter. Can anyone point me to articles or sites/chats that discuss similar filtration?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I never heard that stainless steel is bad for fish. I'm pretty sure that is incorrect.
Now copper and galvanizing (zinc) are definitely bad.

You don't need a filter or even a weir on top of your falls.
There are many ways you can direct the water over the falls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There are almost endless choices when it comes to filters.
A lot of us filter with a gravel bog. It mimics a natural way that nature does it's filtering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Like @poconojoe said, there are lots of ways to do filtration. If you don't do a waterfall filter and you don't want a bog, I would probably try to find a way to do a gravity fed filter as it opens up options to do all the filtering and circulation you need with very little electricity.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a stainless waterfall tank in my pond that my hubby made and it's been there for years. No problems w/it.

Ask a Question