Filtration

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
I have somewhat of a strange phenomenon that I'm hoping someone can explain to me. I have a very small pond and I was using just a pre-filter on the pump. The water was being pumped through a small statuary fountain. I was getting some aeration from the fountain but not a lot.
I just made a small Skippy (10 gallon) filter. For filter media, I'm using nylon scrubbies. Although I had to reduce the flow of water (and place the output tube closer to the water) I have a huge increase in aeration.
Even if I place the output tube under water, I'm getting great aeration. Can anyone explain?
On a side note, can you overdo it with adding beneficial bacteria to the filter? I'm trying to follow the directions but I'm wondering if adding more will speed up the maturation process.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the excess will coat the walls of your pond... it wont really hurt anything but youll be wasting some. put your little under water media in with the new for a little while it will help it colonize quicker. and the aeration is one more reason why an external diy filter is the only way to go. will you partially bury it and make a waterfall?

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
This filter is for my very small pond. I'm probably going to set the filter in a garden behind the pond and route the output line back into the statuary. I Just built a 1300 gal. pond and a much larger "Skippy". I'll incorporate that into a waterfall.

Ask a Question