Fin rot

Reaction score
I've got assorted goldfish in my 1300 gallon pond ,, I've noticed that the tail fins on over half of the fish look shredded and a few have no tail fin at all ,, yesterday I added 35 lbs of salt , do you think I'm on the right track ? 2 small Fish look pretty sick ,,should I remove them from the pond or see if they do better with the salt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, Bob! About how many fish do you have? Do you have test kits to evaluate the water quality? I would test your water before doing anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
That is a lot of salt in one hit! It probably wont do anything to stop the tailrot as it is not used for that. You need anti-rot or anti-fungal medication if it is fin rot (take a photo and go to your local petshop and get their advice. Now the real issue is what caused the finrot in the first place? It is usually related to water quality. Do you have good biological filtration? What are your nitrates like in your pond and what is the pH like?

Ray

Ask a Question