Final results of Boy Scout, Native American project

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For those of you who have followed this from the beginning [maybe as far back as October], I thought I would post pictures. The shields turned out great, and in fact better than I'd expected. So we're going [to be allowed] to get some blanks [20" plywood discs] that one of the old-timers has in storage, come up with new designs, and create some more, from scratch!

For those who are clueless, I am a Boy Scout leader, and am also involved in the Order of the Arrow. OA is an honor society within the BSA program and is "native American" themed. Another scouter and I were asked to refurbish some painted wooden ceremonial shields back in October.

The original shields had red felt hot-glued around the border, and that was it. Over time that was getting pretty tacky looking. So my idea was to drill holes and lace some faux leather around as a border. Problem turned out that the art work had been placed too close to the edge, so that using a faux border of anything wasn't going to work from an asthetics point. We decided to simply use the leather strips and lace them, and accent the pieces with beads, feathers, etc.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Those turned out very nice. Come up to Wisconsin, I have two signs at one of our camps to redo for our OA lodge. The have way to much detail as someone years ago duplicated our lodge flap as signs. they will take me forever to reproduce.

Ask a Question