Finally, an active pond

Reaction score
Finally got the final number of channel catfish today. I have 5-6 and I added about a dozen fathead minnows in with the Rosy Reds. Tonight will be exciting because there will be alot more activity. Instead of staring for 10 minutes hoping to get a glimpse. I had the minnows in there with 2 catfish to get the biofilter more up to speed first. Next, the big algae bloom. lol

Attachments

• Last4Cats.jpg
    Last4Cats.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 298

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Malak, want one that will really show up, get an albino. I loved ours while we had it. It got as tame as any goldfish and would come straight up and eat out of our hands, We got it at about 2" from a pet store and I had to set it free at the BassPro shops lake last year at a little over 24" I think we had it for about four years. At least it's in a home where no fishing is allowed, I've heard people have spotted him several times since we put it in their lake.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Oh yea, they turn up at the catfish farms all the time, All they raise are channel cats. it won't have the spots that young channel cats have but other than that and being a peachy colored catfish they are exactly the same, albino's hide more during the day than regular ones do, but are more active at night than the regular ones are. Ours fed best just before dark, very seldom would it come out of it's hole during mid day but once in a while he would come up and feed and pose for the camera. I had to put a 6" piece of drainage pipe weighted down in the bottom for it to hide in. You could see it's whishers sticking out but not much more until WHAM there he was!

Attachments

• 000_0016.jpg
    000_0016.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 000_0025.jpg
    000_0025.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 299
  • 000_0027.jpg
    000_0027.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 356
Reaction score
I would say all catfish hide during the day, especially if there is no real shade. They seem to come out just as the last light fades. The two original ones I have like to hide in a fold of the liner and it worries me because I'm not sure the oxygenated water is really getting to them. They have a cinderblock to hide in, but only the ones I just got are using it. I have used the weighted PVC pipe trick before in my indoor aquarium. I RTV'd a stone to them. Maybe I will do the same in the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good going malak! you have clear water and fish, fantastic!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
most do hide during the day but channel cats are more active during the day than most species. hiding holes in the lowest spot in the pond will take first choice by them, It's cooler there of course. don't worry about the ones hiding in the folds, if there isn't enough oxygen they will move and find a place that does but in most cases they would be moving water in with their fin motion and actually keep it from becoming a stagnant area. I'm personally getting away from cinder blocks because I have found that the edges can be very abrasive and will scratch the fish up, catfish included, but koi even worse. Plus they can raise the PH if not well cured. In the wild they prefer large over hangs, A large flat rock sitting on a plastic milk carton would probably be a better choice, If you want it to where the cat fish can use the crate then just cut a larger opening in one side, if not leave it like it is and the smaller fish can use it for a getaway spot in the shade too.

Reaction score
At least I won't have to worry about the new pond low pH problem. lol
I never knew cinderblocks were so problematic till after I got them. Another learning curve.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Malak said:
At least I won't have to worry about the new pond low pH problem. lol
I never knew cinderblocks were so problematic till after I got them. Another learning curve.

Don't feel bad, I have been using them for years, I found out the hard way like others about them needing to be aged or neutralised to keep PH down. Didn't know how abrasive they were to fish until I was able to keep crystal clear water, now I notice every fin tear, missing scale and bobo that the fish get. That's the bigger reason I'm getting rid of them now and trying not to use them in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck with your new additions Malak. I went to the local garden store looking for pond plants last week and they had almost as many albino catfish for sale as regular comets. Does anyone know is that the new big thing to buy a catfish for your pond?

Reaction score
I primary got them because mine is too small for koi especially where I live and goldfish are orange(my least fav color) although the Rosy Reds really are orange. I did not know about the other color varieties of goldfish at the time. Also, if they outgrow the pond I can eat them! Plus, it's cool to keep a more natural native environment. I've always like natural ponds.

Reaction score
I like your philosophy, Malak. I don't eat fish anymore, but I remember those channel cat were pretty tasty. The part of me that's native american thinks it's spiffy to build your domicile from native sources. Cheers.

Ask a Question