Finally asking the question, what kind of fish do I have?

Reaction score
I've had my pond for 6 years and never tried very hard to figure out what kind of fish I have. I believe they are some kind of goldfish, but I have had two Koi in there that disappeared thanks to racoons, cats, or possibly Kranes/Herron/Egret (whatever).

Here are some pictures I took today:
ronsred88-albums-rons-pond-picture555-dscn2124.jpg

ronsred88-albums-rons-pond-picture556-dscn2130.jpg

ronsred88-albums-rons-pond-picture557-dscn2132.jpg

And a short video
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]z5z4EWBagd4[/MEDIA]"]

Thanks,
Ron

Here's a link to my intro post

Reaction score
I've never really noticed any whiskers which is why I didn't immediately say Koi. Do the whiskers appear when the fish are small or only after a certain size? I probably have too many fish for the size of the pond and so they aren't nearly the size of most Koi I've seen. Is it possible they just haven't grown big enough to have whiskers?

Here's an enlarged picture of a few of them:
ronsred88-albums-rons-pond-picture558-enlarged.jpg

Thanks,
Ron

Reaction score
Mostly koi. I saw 2 comets. May be more but couldn't tell from the pics or video. Watch how they feed. Sounds crazy but they feed differently. Koi will hang on the surface and inhale the food like a whale. Comets to my knowledge are more hit, move away, hit, move away, etc.
If you are unable to differentiate by sight, give it a shot.

Reaction score
Comets/Goldfish will also have a differently placed and shaped mouth. Usually a little higher on the head. The barbels, whiskers, are the really easiest way to tell for sure. Anything less than 4 whiskers is a comet/goldfish. Or they could be a cross breed. I have both Koi and comets that do the hit and run on feeding. So I cannot attest to that one.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There are Koi with only 2 barbells, some have 4. I have seen many show quality Koi photos online and they clearly have only 2.
go to Simikoi.com and take a look.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are pretty no matter what they are!

Reaction score
I learn something new every day. I was always told to look for four barbels. Thanks for correcting me on that. I have definitely given out some mis-information on that.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Big Red said:
Mostly koi. I saw 2 comets. May be more but couldn't tell from the pics or video. Watch how they feed. Sounds crazy but they feed differently. Koi will hang on the surface and inhale the food like a whale. Comets to my knowledge are more hit, move away, hit, move away, etc.
If you are unable to differentiate by sight, give it a shot.
you hit it on the head ,with the feeding statement.Also koi are known,least mine splash me with there tails,while feeding......

Looks to me as if you have a multi community of goldfish an koi.

Reaction score
Comets/Goldfish will also have a differently placed and shaped mouth. Usually a little higher on the head. The barbels, whiskers, are the really easiest way to tell for sure. Anything less than 4 whiskers is a comet/goldfish. Or they could be a cross breed. I have both Koi and comets that do the hit and run on feeding. So I cannot attest to that one.

===========================
JML| Learning Resources

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't know where you get your information, but here are a lot of websites and experts selling imported Japanese Koi with only 2 barbells.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
seems like koi to me , may be they became dwarf due to excess of fishes .. thats mystery never seen them that small after 6 years! they r size of 5 months in normal ones , u can see whiskers of the big white one specialy at 0.46

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
seems like koi to me , may be they became dwarf due to excess of fishes .. thats mystery never seen them that small after 6 years! they r size of 5 months in normal ones , u can see whiskers of the big white one specialy at 0.46

Usman, you haven't introduced yourself yet. Why not go to the "introductions" topic and tell us about your pond.

Ask a Question