Finally, bought my first Japanese Koi (8)

Reaction score
Biggest one is 14"... The Showas are 11 and 10"... The other 5 are 4.5-5".

I think I'll buy another 8 or 10 if I see anymore good ones that I want, of a different variety when other pond store gets their shipment. :)

Too bad I didn't pop by their earlier. There were ones I liked more but got snatched up.

Attachments

• jkoi1.jpg
    jkoi1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 331
  • jkoi2.jpg
    jkoi2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 306
  • jkoi3.jpg
    jkoi3.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 328

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your Showas are really Sanke, Showas have more red and black and less white. What did you have to pay for them?

Very nice Koi indeed! I have Sanke as well. mine just spawned this morning.

Reaction score
OOps... I got the names all mixed up as usual.

Maybe you can help me ID my Koi. LOL!

What's the biggest one called then? And the little ones? I totally forgot what the guy told me what these guys wee.

I got quoted something like 14" is $100, 11" - $150 and 10" is $200CDN. At the end, I guess all 3 cost me $400... The little ones where pricey! $200 for the 5.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They are all Sanke, except in the first photo, the two smallest might turn out to be Showas.
For good quality fish, that is not a bad price. These are very nice fish from what I can see. It requires a closer look that cameras cannot easily provide to really evaluate them.
I think 2 might even be Tancho Sanke. Those are the ones with the round spot on the head.

Reaction score
Cool! thx for the info guys! For some reason, I ended up with mainly one variety. But those are the only ones that agreed with my eyes and price our of hundreds and hundreds to choose from. I really want some shusui, Kujaku and Doitsu (didn't see any)... I have too many sankes now. :)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Too bad you are not in So Cal, I just pulled a perfect 12" Kohaku from my upper pond and put it into my Adoption tank. I also netted a 12" Platinum Ogon.
Gotta make room for the fry. I'm hoping that this years spawn will yield a few thousand.

Reaction score
Man, I wish I live in Cali. Good weather and everything! Any pics of your latest Koi for adoption?

I wish I can breed or adoption some from you! Your prices are really good!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
jameskoi said:
Man, I wish I live in Cali. Good weather and everything! Any pics of your latest Koi for adoption?

I wish I can breed or adoption some from you! Your prices are really good!

Sorry I don't ship, but here are photos of the Koi and this mornings spawn.

Attachments

• Kohaku Platinum.jpg
    Kohaku Platinum.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 279
  • April 26 Spawn.jpg
    April 26 Spawn.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 343

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The Koi look good jameskoi,,,not a bad price for what you got.

Reaction score
DrCase: That's good to hear. Last thing I want is get ripped off b/c I still know nothing about good quality Koi. I mean, I want to get what I like, but also has potential too and priced correctly.

Reaction score
My basement pond is about 3 weeks old. Ammonia levels finally starting to show. So I'm trying to reduce bio load now.

I shifted 8 domestics back into my 70G and 130G tanks. After a few days introducing japanese imports, the poor domestics, which I once thought were good looking are now boring and hogging up space/bio load. When I fished them out, boy were they fat and they all grew too!

Ask a Question