Finally done..oh wait nevermind...

Reaction score
Well we finally got our new 50 gallon filter installed last weekend and while it isn't pretty at the moment (nothing is hid yet) it is working out rather well. That is until our pump stopped working yesterday :) It was a 1200 gallon Pondmaster Mag drive pump and we've had it 2 years. It has a 3 year warranty but only for the external parts. Anything internal (ie the mechanical part) is only a 1 year warranty! :)

So now we need a new pump asap. Anyone have any suggestions? We were thinking of getting a 1800 gallon Pondmaster (think we need a little more umph) but don't know what the best choice is. Help??????

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dont run too big of a pump unless you divert some of the water straight to your falls, bypasssing your filter because the water has to spend enough time in the media so the bacteria can do its thing...1800 gph in a 50 gallon filter will only allow about 1&2/3 minutes in the filter and not all of that in the media...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
jenn. said:
Well we finally got our new 50 gallon filter installed last weekend and while it isn't pretty at the moment (nothing is hid yet) it is working out rather well. That is until our pump stopped working yesterday :) It was a 1200 gallon Pondmaster Mag drive pump and we've had it 2 years. It has a 3 year warranty but only for the external parts. Anything internal (ie the mechanical part) is only a 1 year warranty! :)

So now we need a new pump asap. Anyone have any suggestions? We were thinking of getting a 1800 gallon Pondmaster (think we need a little more umph) but don't know what the best choice is. Help??????

I use the Beckett W1150 from Home Depot. I have had great success with this one for many years. It is what feeds my 55 Doc Bio Filter.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I use the Beckett W1150 from Home Depot. I have had great success with this one for many years. It is what feeds my 55 Doc Bio Filter.

How is it on electricity used though? I heard that the mag drive pumps were much more efficient.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I use a Tetrapond 1200 gph pump.. 3 year warranty, and 122 watt draw. available at Lowes $109.00 ........ outside
Tetrapond 1000 gph...3 year warranty...85 watt draw ..........$79.00 at Lowes......... in the basement pond

Reaction score
Well we finally just decided on the same Pondmaster 1200 mag pump but it looks totally different. I am wondering if we had a bum pump before because this has more flow than the old one ever did! The 1800 would have been WAY too much. So now I have my new filter, new pump, a big chunk of cork bark for my turtles and pretty new peach colored lily and I picked up a little blue and white koi for $4 that is now swimming with the others. Now all we need to do is find a way of hiding all the cords, pipes and rubber....

Reaction score
Anyone have any good ideas for hiding non-aesthetic parts of the pond? How do I hide the big pipe that comes out of the pond? I know that plants help but then in the winter months you got nothing.

Pictures137.jpg

Pictures140.jpg

Pictures139.jpg

Reaction score
And another questions (sorry, I have tons of them) how long does it take for a filter to become established and start to clear up the water? I have really only had it running since yesterday (since our pump broke) and it was all types of cloudy and yellow from the major storms we had a short while ago. I have the water running through strapping tape, filter pad, scrubby pads, old filter media (from the old filter) and a big old bag of activated carbon (in that order).

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
To hide your pipes and wires, I suggest Hyssop which is a water plant and Wirey Vine which is a ground plant. I use both and they grow fast, hide well and look fantiastic.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
if you leave pump where it is but move the pipe so it comes out of the pond near that big rock on the left side and lift those rocks next to it bring the pipe through there then place rocks back covering it that might help loose a bit of pipe hope that makes sence ...also you could try growing ivy round the back and sides thats evergreen so would help hide it a bit :biggrin:

Reaction score
Have you thought of building a small pond-side deck? That would hide a lot and if you use screws you can get the boards off if you have to to work on something.

Ask a Question