Finally getting my Karasu!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So excited!! Just learned of this type of koi this summer when stocking my new pond! Finally found one for sale all the way in FL (I’m in NE Indiana) and my guy is on his way to pick him up for me! I cannot wait to add him to my pond!!! Yay!!

Once he’s here, I’ll get better photos!!

E97F0620-BF29-437C-8977-9B42A5C6FC59.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Jen. Good luck with your new Koi! it looks really nice. What other types of Koi do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well..... not as happy as I expected to be. I’m not sure how in the world it can go from looking that healthy to what I got today. I couldn’t really get good pictures, he wasn’t really happy with being messed with or confined and since I don’t have any means to sedate it, I didn’t want to stress him more and make it worse. Part of his tail fell completely off. It looks like fin rot to me, but I’ve never seen this kind of damage happen so fast. The photo above in my initial post was just from Sunday. His jet black color has also faded considerably. And he appears to now have quite an injury to the top of his head.

I tested the water he was transported in. It was the worst I’ve ever seen.

1.0 ppm ammonia
2.0 ppm nitrite
40 ppm nitrate

I just don’t think those numbers could happen in less the 24 hours

Really hope if I can bring him back to health, the black will darken again. This is from today:

1C55A695-8527-49A6-9CC5-D6A5DEAE7FB3.jpeg

DA4DFB04-1615-4960-B92D-3E5A86C296A0.jpeg

81095942-6499-4BB2-BB4F-BF479AC2D419.jpeg

I did a 50% water change, but was still at .5ppm ammonia so I ended up leaving only enough water to cover him, and changing Out the rest. There still some ammonia, but the color from the test looks less than .25ppm now. I added a double dose of stress coat (per instructions on bottle for damaged fins) and I dosed the water with Microbe Lift BSDT.

I really don’t know what else to do, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 733A4807-6B59-4D0B-B6CE-15A956FA153C.jpeg
    733A4807-6B59-4D0B-B6CE-15A956FA153C.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 91

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How was the fish transported? They can get nose burns from sitting front to back in a vehicle so transportation container should sit cross ways. I assume the fish is at your house at this point....What do you have the fish in at the moment that there is still an ammonia reading? Did you remove it from its shipping water when you put in where it is now. Adding prime to the water can help bind the ammonia, also add some filter media from your existing pond or gravel or whatever, the idea is to get the bacteria population up to handle the waste output from the fish minimizing stress.

The transport water results aren’t surprising...personally when I get any fish shipped/transported for 24 hours, I don’t screw around with acclimating them slowly, I just float bags for 10-15 minutes for temp adjustment then release them into their tank or pond. At this point getting the bacteria population up and minimizing the cycling of the water it is in via water changes and the addition of prime is all you can do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How was the fish transported? They can get nose burns from sitting front to back in a vehicle so transportation container should sit cross ways. I assume the fish is at your house at this point....What do you have the fish in at the moment that there is still an ammonia reading? Did you remove it from its shipping water when you put in where it is now. Adding prime to the water can help bind the ammonia, also add some filter media from your existing pond or gravel or whatever, the idea is to get the bacteria population up to handle the waste output from the fish minimizing stress.

The transport water results aren’t surprising...personally when I get any fish shipped/transported for 24 hours, I don’t screw around with acclimating them slowly, I just float bags for 10-15 minutes for temp adjustment then release them into their tank or pond. At this point getting the bacteria population up and minimizing the cycling of the water it is in via water changes and the addition of prime is all you can do.
Hmmm.....I wasn’t there, my BF picked him up. I’m not sure what placing crossways in a vehicle means but it was in the bed of a truck...... it was transported in a 30 gallon plastic storage tub, with an aerator running the whole time. Water was from it home’s holding tank. She pulled him from her main pond last Sunday. She also added anacharis to the water with it, and she’s been treating it with Melafix for the past couple of days, she said because he was stressed and she thought he may have been bruised from being caught from the main pond. So, 30 gallons, 10” fish, 12 hour drive, but BF went to bed when he got here, checked on him when he got up just 3-4 hours later, and found the tail fin pieces, sent them to me ( I was at work) and I had him do a partial water change then, about 20-25%, cause I was worried she overdosed the Melafix or something (I’ve never used it so I’m not familiar with it). When I got home from work I inspected him and found the damage, did a water test and freaked out cause those numbers were so horrible did 90% water change (I know not ideal but I figured way better than those water perimeters.) I also added a double dose of stress coat to the water. I don’t have any ammonia lock on hand and the store that sells it was closed.
He’s still in the tub, because I’m afraid to add him to my pond. I’ve never quarantined a new fish in the 8 years I’ve been doing this.... I just don’t have the means for that. But I’ve never seen a fish look this bad!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hmmm.....I wasn’t there, my BF picked him up. I’m not sure what placing crossways in a vehicle means but it was in the bed of a truck...... it was transported in a 30 gallon plastic storage tub, with an aerator running the whole time. Water was from it home’s holding tank. She pulled him from her main pond last Sunday. She also added anacharis to the water with it, and she’s been treating it with Melafix for the past couple of days, she said because he was stressed and she thought he may have been bruised from being caught from the main pond. So, 30 gallons, 10” fish, 12 hour drive, but BF went to bed when he got here, checked on him when he got up just 3-4 hours later, and found the tail fin pieces, sent them to me ( I was at work) and I had him do a partial water change then, about 20-25%, cause I was worried she overdosed the Melafix or something (I’ve never used it so I’m not familiar with it). When I got home from work I inspected him and found the damage, did a water test and freaked out cause those numbers were so horrible did 90% water change (I know not ideal but I figured way better than those water perimeters.) I also added a double dose of stress coat to the water. I don’t have any ammonia lock on hand and the store that sells it was closed.
He’s still in the tub, because I’m afraid to add him to my pond. I’ve never quarantined a new fish in the 8 years I’ve been doing this.... I just don’t have the means for that. But I’ve never seen a fish look this bad!
Also....no filter media, I run a natural bog/veggie filter

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In the 30 gallon tub do water changes with your pond water to keep the ammonia down, since ideally that is where the koi will end up. At this point add gravel/plants from your bog into the tub, it has bacteria on it, which will help minimize the cycling going on in the tub.

If not qting The fish your BF would have been better off for the fishes sake just sticking it in the pond right away. The transport water is a nasty mess especially transporting with an aerator in a tub, so you want the fish to spend the least amount of time in there as possible. Problem with an aerator is it is needed to keep the oxygen up, but by doing this it also keeps the ph up which makes the ammonia more toxic. kind of a double edged sword.

What I mean by placement of the tub when transporting, you want the fish sitting crossways in the vehicle not facing to the front or back. It prevents its face from banging into the sides of the tub getting a “ nose burn”.

Depending on who I get my fish from (atrusted source)I don’t qt them either. just float bag for temp and release especially on any that were shipped overnight.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In the 30 gallon tub do water changes with your pond water to keep the ammonia down, since ideally that is where the koi will end up. At this point add gravel/plants from your bog into the tub, it has bacteria on it, which will help minimize the cycling going on in the tub.

If not qting The fish your BF would have been better off for the fishes sake just sticking it in the pond right away. The transport water is a nasty mess especially transporting with an aerator in a tub, so you want the fish to spend the least amount of time in there as possible. Problem with an aerator is it is needed to keep the oxygen up, but by doing this it also keeps the ph up which makes the ammonia more toxic. kind of a double edged sword.

What I mean by placement of the tub when transporting, you want the fish sitting crossways in the vehicle not facing to the front or back. It prevents its face from banging into the sides of the tub getting a “ nose burn”.

Depending on who I get my fish from (atrusted source)I don’t qt them either. just float bag for temp and release especially on any that were shipped overnight.
Thank you for the help! I do still have some hyacinth that hasn’t died yet from our cooler weather. Do you think that would help?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you for the help! I do still have some hyacinth that hasn’t died yet from our cooler weather. Do you think that would help?
Yes that will help... good luck, hope the fish recovers for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So excited!! Just learned of this type of koi this summer when stocking my new pond! Finally found one for sale all the way in FL (I’m in NE Indiana) and my guy is on his way to pick him up for me! I cannot wait to add him to my pond!!! Yay!!

Once he’s here, I’ll get better photos!!

View attachment 134042
I hope your fish is doing ok!
I think Karasu are beautiful!...I almost bought one, then my Ochiba decided to turn all black on me and I was all set

Ask a Question