Finally got my sitting area landscaped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
By landscaped I mean I dumped a metric *$#&$ton of various sized stone in the area to make a "dry creekbed" type look. The pond is behind my chair.

20210901_152534.jpg

Maybe next year I will finally get to the upper terrace. My goals are always too ambitious for my budget. That area needs a whole load of topsoil really before it will grow anything. I tried a few things up there but it's just too poor of soil (mostly gravel) to succeed. So was this area, thus the dry creekbed look, which, I must say, I have no regrets about. In fact, I love it. And look at my ajuga! It's so happy! Those were all 1/4 that size when I planted them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Very pretty! But your chair is facing the wrong way!
Do you see the side of the house behind the pond? No one wants to look at that. The way my chair is facing has a view. Does anyone seriously face their chairs at their own house? That's bizarre. I'm outside because I want to be outside, it would be counterproductive to be facing a wall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Project! I'm seeing a vision, a vision of a waterfall and pond extension, located in front of the chair. Perhaps the chair becomes an island of tranquility? (Nice job with the current landscaping.) Enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Project! I'm seeing a vision, a vision of a waterfall and pond extension, located in front of the chair. Perhaps the chair becomes an island of tranquility? (Nice job with the current landscaping.) Enjoy.
Maybe someday, but I still have the whole upper terrace to landscape first. This is a older photo and a lot has been done since this, but you get the idea. This is still just barren dirt up here. I kept digging back into the hill to make more flat area and added another rock wall, but I've done nothing to deal with the barren dirt aspect of this level yet. That's why my chair is down in the lower area by the pond. It's a muddy, filthy mess up in the nice, level area. I tried to seed creeping thyme, but the soil is too gravelly: none of it survived. I tried phlox, none of it survived. It doesn't help that it's mostly shade because it's under a giant maple tree.

Attachments

• 20200522_183015.jpg
    20200522_183015.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
You have a great vision and I know how much work that leveling and shade is. The wooded view up the hill is lovely.

Ask a Question