Finally starting to think about the pond build..its only taken 3+ years INDECISION, INDECISION!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We’ve been in our new home a little over 3 years, and we STILL don’t have the pond dug (goldfish and plants are living in a 1200 gal Intex pool). Part of the procrastination has been financial, and part has been indecision.….mostly indecision.….a lot of indecision! Y’all, we have a HUGE backyard and it is a blank palette. This should be easy, right? Keep in mind that I have to incorporate a habitat for my box turtles (non-aquatics) which needs to be like a satellite bog — IOW, a portion of the pond water needs to be diverted into their habitat, but the habitat has to be separate from the pond and 100% escape-proof.

We dug our previous pond, and I created the turtle habitat and bog, but that’s not an option this time around (not to mention, that while it all worked well….it was really crappy looking — just being honest). We had someone out last year to give an estimate, BUT it was way more than we wanted to spend, and dang if they didn’t ignore the aspects I needed. That was depressing.….and discouraging.

HOW DO YOU COMBAT INDECISION? It’s killing me! ENCOURAGEMENT AND INSPIRATION NEEDED!

(ps — have a cat on my lap and he keeps touching the screen — therefore, I can’t take responsibility for any unusual typos. He’s our old man and I don’t have the heart to de-lap him)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing my pups have done text messages emails and posted here when not done....

Get a rope start laying out what you think will work look good etc. Keep moving around until you are happy and have everything you need.

My big pond is approximately where I had the rope, a bit changed since I found the septic system digging it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 DUH:banghead::banghead: Thank you! That’s a great idea, especially since I am very visual and need a visual reference. There’s a huge oak tree back there, and we have some sloping issues. Also, that would give me a picture over time of what areas would best suit the turtles, looking at sun vs shade vs high and low areas (they need microclimates).

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Sloping issues, more like awesome waterfall opportunity :) I would offer to build it for you but I guarantee it wouldn't look any better than your bright blue intex pool. ( and we are many states apart )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with the "get some visuals going" suggestion. Start with anything that allows you to map out the scale you need. We made good use of a case of orange marking spray paint when we were laying out the pond... and yes, I do mean A CASE!

And keep looking for a pro that will HEAR you and give you what you need. Maybe it's a small pond with turtle habitat to start, with a plan for a bigger addition later on. Pond builders here sell "packages" that they like to build because it's repetitive work for them - they know they can get in and out in a couple of days with a couple of guys. The prices really aren't bad when you consider in a couple of days you have a lovely, completed pond.

Here's one example of a builder that advertises package pricing:

Atlantis Water Gardens - Jaak is another pond builder who does amazing YouTube videos of his pond builds. He's an incredibly talented builder. (Not a plug - he's in NJ! haha! I just love the guy's work!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I started my latest pond (when I moved) by going through all my pictures of Other Peoples' Ponds and selecting one feature in each that I loved about it, then started winnowing out and scaling down due to size or wouldn't work well together. I had some constraints of sewer lines and utility easements, big trees with bigger roots, totally flat land, mobility access concerns, and a potential garage or house addition.
I interviewed three local pond builders, and none of them would build what I wanted, because they had their own standard pond build kits, in small, medium and large and two of them were booked up 5 months out. I'd suggest asking your pond build estimater what made the pond so expensive and could be deferred until later, or done by you, or not done at all.
Obviously, you'll get lots of ideas from this group.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Agree with everyone re: visuals. I collected old garden hoses from the neighbors to do initial layout. Having 3-400 feet of hose allowed me to layout different parts of the yard together to see how it would all work together.

And marking paint is my new favorite thing. Have gone through about 10 cans.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@SarahT They sent an itemized list/estimate. The problem was that they didn’t include any of the things I specifically requested. They were going for aesthetics and there was no hint of what I needed from a practical standpoint. For example….I specifically said I wanted a bog filter system. Nope, that was completely disregarded.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK PICTURES WHERES THE PICS CAN'T HELP WITHOUT THE PICS

@Jhn used a 2x12 i believe it was standing on edge and framed the whole area it was pretty cool , then the liner went edge to edge another good idea as it also collects extra rain water and creates possible pocks of water underground for plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
@SarahT They sent an itemized list/estimate. The problem was that they didn’t include any of the things I specifically requested. They were going for aesthetics and there was no hint of what I needed from a practical standpoint. For example….I specifically said I wanted a bog filter system. Nope, that was completely disregarded.
@Mmathis The old, "we only use the equipment that we use". Aesthetics are fine, but disregarding a major request is not. I think you will find a compatible pond builder, but it's frustrating until then.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Mmathis The old, "we only use the equipment that we use". Aesthetics are fine, but disregarding a major request is not. I think you will find a compatible pond builder, but it's frustrating until then.

agree with this one! Builders (of all kinds) like to do what they know. Again - in the repetition they are able to control their costs because they know exactly what they need, how long it takes, etc. No surprises. Which makes sense. You just have to find that builder who's confident enough in their ability to price a job that is a bit more unusual.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The hose or rope thing really helps to visualize the area and do lots of easy tweaking to see just exactly how you want to be able to view it all.

If you are going to hire it done I agree make sure you choose someone who will listen to your desires. It will be yours in the end, not theirs to enjoy.

Will be fun watching you do this and hope you will include lots of photo's
1650038832261.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
agree with this one! Builders (of all kinds) like to do what they know. Again - in the repetition they are able to control their costs because they know exactly what they need, how long it takes, etc. No surprises. Which makes sense. You just have to find that builder who's confident enough in their ability to price a job that is a bit more unusual.
Just having a raised edge around the area for turtles shouldn't be a big deal mind you on a flat lot.

Ask a Question