Finally starting to think about the pond build..its only taken 3+ years INDECISION, INDECISION!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just having a raised edge around the area for turtles shouldn't be a big deal mind you on a flat lot.

You're 100% right - it SHOULDN'T be. But doing a whole house reno a few years ago was enlightening. Many builders/contractors/tradesmen don't like to be pushed to try something new. The good ones are all about it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just having a raised edge around the area for turtles shouldn't be a big deal mind you on a flat lot.
It’s not so much the habitat part, but it’s incorporating the bog into the habitat so that it’s escape-proof. I managed to accomplish it with my previous pond, but like I said, it was kinda crappy looking — functional and practical, but not at all attractive. I know in my mind how I want it to work, but apparently I have trouble communicating my thoughts. I know this for a fact because I can explain something to my hubby (hubby in particular, but same with other people) explaining WHY I want something a certain way, explain the “physics,” and even show him examples. “Do you understand what I’m explaining?” Hubby: “yes.” Then, go to do the project, visit Home Depot (for example), and it’s “Why do you need that?” “I don’t understand what that’s for.” “That’s not how you explained it.” Etc, etc. Grrrr!

But, in typing this, I just had a wonderful idea! I play with polymer clay (a bakeable hobby media)! once before I made a miniature pond — I’ll see if I can find it or pics of it — and it was a wonderful visual! It wasn’t a real pond, but imagine those little village sets with a fake pond. I CAN MAKE A MOCK-UP! That way, even if the design isn’t exactly the same, the CONCEPTS are there!

THANK YOU! YOU GUYS ARE WONDERFUL AND I KNEW I COULD COUNT ON YOU FOR INSPIRATION!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good idea! I'm also a very visual person so I'll spend time on Google searching for images that appeal to me for all kinds of things - kitchens, gardens, pantries, etc etc etc. A picture is worth a thousand words!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 Is there a simple, quick way to go back and find a thread/post I made (that included a pic) from as early as 2011 - 2013-ish? I tried the “search” option (searching for threads posted by me), but it took forever just to get through my posts from last year. I have no idea what the title of the thread would have been, but mainly wanting to retrieve a pic.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Mmathis enclose your whole habitat as @GBBUDD is suggesting with a low wall, doesn’t need to be very high with a capboard that over hangs 3-6” over the inside, whether it be 6x6’s or whatever. Can have the capboard and a face board to hide the treated lumber out of a nicer looking wood like ipe or something. Then trench or dig out a bit on the inside of the wall,placing dirt on the outside of the wall this way the ground is going down lower as your turtles approach the wall with the overhang, making it impossible for them to climb out. It also makes the outside of the wall appear to be only a step or less above the ground.

I can take some pics of my enclosure where I did this just in the 50’ of entrance to it, the rest has a fence, which is required by law here unfortunately.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As for finding contractors that will build what you want, just be patient, you will find one. Just need to look for one that has the confidence and flexibility in their abilities to understand what will and won’t work, and also listen to their customers, so they can meet their needs.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jhn Yes, pictures would be wonderful! Thank you! I work very hard at providing microclimates and terrain enrichments for these silly turtles — gotta love ‘em! Oh, and they have all officially come out of brumation!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As for finding contractors that will build what you want, just be patient, you will find one. Just need to look for one that has the confidence and flexibility in their abilities to understand what will and won’t work, and also listen to their customers, so they can meet their needs.
We have been collecting names, but yes, gotta find someone who doesn’t mind working “outside the box” so to speak (box turtles, get it).

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here are pics of what I did, it is two 6x8’s up on edge, inside the pond area I dug the inside edge down, built up the area outside the 6x8’s and the cap boards overhang about 4” or so to the inside. I have a box turtle that stays in there year round with the terrapins.

Attachments

• B3612372-3640-4B72-8055-83C1C12A9154.jpeg
    B3612372-3640-4B72-8055-83C1C12A9154.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 194FCB38-267C-4D3E-B83B-5EB6EA89EBD3.jpeg
    194FCB38-267C-4D3E-B83B-5EB6EA89EBD3.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You're 100% right - it SHOULDN'T be. But doing a whole house reno a few years ago was enlightening. Many builders/contractors/tradesmen don't like to be pushed to try something new. The good ones are all about it.
i ALWAYS welcomed outside the box projects, if you called me and wanted a home depot garage built or build box boring condos i was not intrested.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It’s not so much the habitat part, but it’s incorporating the bog into the habitat so that it’s escape-proof. I managed to accomplish it with my previous pond, but like I said, it was kinda crappy looking — functional and practical, but not at all attractive. I know in my mind how I want it to work, but apparently I have trouble communicating my thoughts. I know this for a fact because I can explain something to my hubby (hubby in particular, but same with other people) explaining WHY I want something a certain way, explain the “physics,” and even show him examples. “Do you understand what I’m explaining?” Hubby: “yes.” Then, go to do the project, visit Home Depot (for example), and it’s “Why do you need that?” “I don’t understand what that’s for.” “That’s not how you explained it.” Etc, etc. Grrrr!

But, in typing this, I just had a wonderful idea! I play with polymer clay (a bakeable hobby media)! once before I made a miniature pond — I’ll see if I can find it or pics of it — and it was a wonderful visual! It wasn’t a real pond, but imagine those little village sets with a fake pond. I CAN MAKE A MOCK-UP! That way, even if the design isn’t exactly the same, the CONCEPTS are there!

THANK YOU! YOU GUYS ARE WONDERFUL AND I KNEW I COULD COUNT ON YOU FOR INSPIRATION!
tHE way @Jhn DID HIS worked very well it even gave a place to sit along the edges . and with the liner all the way to the walls could mean you could make some small ponds or a low flow stream. That could be very cool for twertels .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 Is there a simple, quick way to go back and find a thread/post I made (that included a pic) from as early as 2011 - 2013-ish? I tried the “search” option (searching for threads posted by me), but it took forever just to get through my posts from last year. I have no idea what the title of the thread would have been, but mainly wanting to retrieve a pic.
Only if you can recall key words that you typed like polymer clay, mock up pond might find it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

TURTLEMOMMY'S POND IDEA, SO FAR -- WHADAYATHINK​

Ask a Question