Finally time to rebuild the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
So far into the build for 2 days. First I had to move my small bog filter but it was too heavy for the tractor. Removed the plants and most of the pea gravel.
Moved the filter and rebuilt it. Was surprised at the amount of dirt in it but it sure keeps the small pond clean
. IMG_0557.JPGIMG_0558.JPGIMG_0556.JPG

I hope the plants survive, Just added some last month.
Now onto the digging of the first pond.

IMG_5091.JPGIMG_5092.JPG

And just about to level it and the wife suggested to move it 4 feet further from the House
So more digging
IMG_0559.JPGIMG_5094.JPG

Finally in place and level, starting to move the rocks into place.
IMG_5095.JPGIMG_5096.JPGIMG_5097.JPG

Tomorrow install the liner,2" pipes under the gravel and hopefully add the pea gravel after I pick it up.
This is the first of 3 sections to the build.

Attachments

• IMG_5094.JPG
    IMG_5094.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
This top pond will be for water lillys. I will feed water into the pea gravel and plant the lillys diretly in the gravel close to the pipes to work as 1 of the 2 filters. This pond will be 34" deep less the gravel i put into it. Not to concerned if it filters well just hope it feeds the lillys well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Leave at least a foot if not more water above the gravel for the lilies, They do great from 1 foot to 2 feet of water depth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I was planning on 2' of water above the gravel. Abby How far apart do you recoment the pipes be for a bog filter? Think I remember you mentioned 2' apart.
Plan to get the pea gravel today. Not sure if I will get any building done , with the rain last night I now have 2" of water in the pond base.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bottom of my big was 4 feet wide. I just made it so I had one pipe running down the one side and down the other. I would say the two pipes were about 2 feet apart with about a foot from the wall...............about

I would just divide the space. Place your pipes so they cover a nice amount of the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Well did not get much done this weekend as my son and grand kids came to visit for the weekend But I did find a little time to build and move the fish. Placed some rocks to hold down the pipes and then could not find them back when I added 11" of gravel. Figured they could stay in the bottom under the gravel.
.IMG_0560.JPGIMG_0561.JPGIMG_0562.JPG
Moved the Lilliys and 50 goldfish to the larger pod. Did not think there where that many in the small pond.
The sides will get built up a little yet so the surround of rocks will be in the water to hide the liner.

IMG_0563.JPGIMG_0564.JPG
Next step is to remove the old pond and install the next one at the bottom. It will be like the top one but 4 1/2 ft deep with a bottom drain and a skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Thanks Abby. Decided on the bog system for filter after reading you long posts about them. Thanks for the interesting thread.
The gravel I got was slightly larger than I wanted but the one I have in the current bog was smaller than peas. When I dug it up to move I was surprised to find the small pea gravel was formed into solid lumps. I think the slightly larger gravel will work better with less chance of clogging up.
Went up to the local pond/lake and rescued some lillys for the pond to help fill the void.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is I have done in all of my ponds, the first few were not well done, tiny ponds, but still sort of worked. This one is my biggest and best working. Love never needing to clean a filter or even worry about the pond if busy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
The top pond cleared well. At first I could not see an inch into the water and was thinking of draining and refilling it.

IMG_5145.jpg

Now the digging of the lower pond, dig and mesure. was only 6 ft across, dig some more....still 6'across, finally 7+ ft across and time to drop in the ring.

IMG_5147.JPGIMG_5146.JPGIMG_5149.JPG

And then dig some more.
IMG_5152.JPG

Finally get to place a few rocks around the lower pond and retire for the day
IMG_5155.JPGIMG_0568.JPGIMG_0567.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know that feeling - "that must be deep enough. No? Dig some more. Surely now! Still no... more digging..." The pictures are great - much easier to see what your plan is now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Now I will have to deal with the mud and pump out the water from the lower pond as it rained hard all night. Surprised there was not more water in the hole as the gutter drain is exposed beside it. I plan to have a low point drain in the plumbing to drain the water for the winter. Not in favour of the drain as it could drain the pond down if the valve fails but I need to be able to drain the water from the pipes for the winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good! One shovel at a time and it gets done, eventually!

Ask a Question