Finally waters are running

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Addy1-I was kinda lazy this year,and on the far right of the pond.I left a filter running,which made all that ice,it formed into a huge bubble,haha.And w/ have winds up to 45 miles an hour,it had no chance but to freeze,in that way..Great thing is that is the deepest part,they seem not to mind .It keeps the wind off of them for now,and I'm aiming my jet pumps towards that ice to help melt it.But I'm firm on believing ice acts as a insulation.I'm sure temps @ the bottom are not in the 40's,maybe low 50's
j.w.- I noticed that goldfish and koi will not hibernate together. Well mine don't.The goldfish seem to stay up by the waterfall,while the koi like the open bottom as sissy mentioned. Thanks for stopping by,I pose I should cut this short before I start to ramble........... :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ramble away, we all do!

I have some floating black liner, it seems to keep the water below it toasty compared to the rest of the pond, when the sun is out. Heats it up like a solar blanket. I floated it to give the fish some hiding ability, darn heron still hanging around, makes them more comfortable too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wonder if thats a sign of age > rambling LOL.oh well not sure I would want to admit that

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Well the pond recovery was great,seems like early spring here w/ the babies wanting to eat.
Addy- I like the liner idea,darn and I have lots left over.................
sissy- age? I've been around since the dead sea was sick :LOL:

here's a few pics of 'em eatin up.

Attachments

• DCFN0003.JPG
    DCFN0003.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 201
  • DCFN0004.JPG
    DCFN0004.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 247
  • DCFN0005.JPG
    DCFN0005.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 217

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is their main hang out spot, below the liner. I have the ppl liner, not sure if the epdm will float as well I have not tried it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your water looks nice and clear and fish seem happy .Well will sure never admit I 'm getting old I just tell people I feel old but don't want to be old .LOL .How has your pond been doing this winter .I would love to see more new pics of it .I just love your waterfall in your other pics

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Snowing,fish are running.figure I toss 'em a few pieces of food.

In the 2nd picture,I actually got in the water and took a under water photo,just for ya'll............yea right ,lol.........diggin' :LOL:

Attachments

• DCFN0005.JPG
    DCFN0005.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 229
  • DCFN0007.JPG
    DCFN0007.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 228
  • DCFN0008.JPG
    DCFN0008.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 232
  • DCFN0009.JPG
    DCFN0009.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 259
  • DCFN0010.JPG
    DCFN0010.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 242
  • DCFN0011.JPG
    DCFN0011.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 221
  • DCFN0012.JPG
    DCFN0012.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 268
  • DCFN0006.JPG
    DCFN0006.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 262

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! your fish look healthy and happy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
windy as heck yesterday and in the 50's but with the wind it felt colder and supposed to be 70 today .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Diggin, where are you located in IL? Are you feeding your fish this time of year, or were the feeding pictures taken last year? I think my pond water temp is anywhere beween 33 and 48 on the top last week or two, so just wondering if your fish get fed when it's this cold. Or ... are you farther south, maybe. :)

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words..........

Country-- I'm far north of you NW burbs. In the 5th pic you can se the snow coming down,and yes these pics are from yesterday morning.................. I don't feed them in the winter everyday,but if they are out and coming at me as you see in the 7th pic,then I know they wanna eat a light snack................I've done this for yrs,doesn't seem to bother them..Now if they aare not out ,this morning,then they get no food.In other words I allow my fish to let me know when they wanna chow down.Only wheat germ though!!

J.W. yea that calico is a fav of mine,and he has put on some weight over the winter.haha

sissy -we were in the high 40's here,and pretty much anytime we get in those temps,the fish wanna run and eat,well run lots ,eat less. I credit massive water flow for healthy fish.
addy1- thank you so much.
......DIGGIN

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Just after my last post ,I went out to the pond.Sure nuff there runnin again this morning....Pics are not the best,and as you can see,and I didn't shut off any pumps to get a birds eye view,so the fish look distorted,lol.
Again this is the brand food I use,as they have lots varieties.

In the last pic ,seems these two are close buddies.........funny one is a solid white goldfish,the other a koi.......

Attachments

• DCFN0012.JPG
    DCFN0012.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 187
  • DCFN0008.JPG
    DCFN0008.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 186
  • DCFN0007.JPG
    DCFN0007.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 241
  • DCFN0001.JPG
    DCFN0001.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 207

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats the only food my fish like and when spring comes I add organic garlic to it to help them feed better and fight off some problems they may incounter .I just put a little food in a zip lock bag and shake the food up in it .I buy mine at pet mountain in a bigger bag and just store it in a cool dry dark spot in my closet off season ,cheaper that way .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Same fish food I feed my goldies and they really seem to like it! I also buy the bigger bag and keep it stored tight.

Diggin maybe some Goi fish in your future if those two fish get together if of course male and female.

Ask a Question