Finally we are up and running

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The ice finally melted and I managed to get the pumps running. All the koi and goldfish look great. I did lose one tiny fish I found a couple weeks ago and a small snapping turtle. Considering this winter, I will call it a success. The birds are already enjoying the stream :) and so are we :D Now to get the chairs and campfire going. I just love the sound of the spring bird songs with the running water. Maybe a little cold in the morning but coffee by the pond will be great.

Reaction score
Congrats ! I'm glad to see someone in RI getting up and running since I'm in Massachusetts , and with the warm day today I'm hoping to get my pumps running this week also !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ah, you do know snappers eat fish, right? It might be a good idea to relocate any other snappers you see near/in your pond...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ah, you do know snappers eat fish, right? It might be a good idea to relocate any other snappers you see near/in your pond...

Thanks for the heads up. I knew that but this guy showed up during the winter and it was only about the size of a quarter. It was the first turtle that showed up, most likely from the pond near our house.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here are some photos from today
IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Congrats ! I'm glad to see someone in RI getting up and running since I'm in Massachusetts , and with the warm day today I'm hoping to get my pumps running this week also !

Hope it all goes well for you

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to hear R&A.............everyone else will be warming up soon too hopefully

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I cannot wait to get my pond going. Today was only 45 degrees but with birds chirping and 70% of the snow gone, I was just staring at my pond thinking "thaw! thaw! thaw!" sadly 30 degrees in 2 days :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
jB; I hear you. The grass is almost visible now though there's still the mountains of snow on either side of the driveway and still a good amount on the ice covering the pond. From some of the other threads, I'm curious/worried I might see a bunch of string algae when I do get to see my pond again. Though, makes me wonder if all that snow coverage prevents the algae from getting a head start? Yeah, I like that idea, I'm going to keep saying that to myself...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up. I knew that but this guy showed up during the winter and it was only about the size of a quarter. It was the first turtle that showed up, most likely from the pond near our house.

RobAmy; the little ones ARE cute, aren't they? Now, I once went 'turtle hunting' (painteds) with my son when he was young, down at the 'big' pond by the main road. Well, it was early Sunday morning and very quiet. I'd told my son to keep quiet as turtles spook easily and our net was only about 10' long--we needed stealth to do the deed--when all of a sudden, the 'pond' begins to move. By this I mean, a cluster of weed/vegetation suddenly started drifting across our view. Looking closer, we noted it wasn't the pond but a 36" snapping turtle. The neck was as thick as my arm and almost as long. Sooooo, you may not want to get too enamored of the snapping turtles any time soon; I heard stories when I moved here of the large snappers taking down full grown geese and drowning them at the bottom of the pond. That lil squirt that passed away might one day be part of such a story and I'd hate to have you be the one telling it. Jus' sayin'.

;)

btw, love the look of your pond!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Though, makes me wonder if all that snow coverage prevents the algae from getting a head start? Yeah, I like that idea, I'm going to keep saying that to myself...

Through the hole in my pond I could see a ton of string algae. So heavy snow cover didn't slow it down. Or, if it did, that would be worse, considering how much algae is down there. :jawdrop:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used most of my old ponds water and so far even with a new pond nothing .But just before i put quilt batting in it did start to turn green .

Ask a Question