Finally!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey folks! I haven't posted for a while because I've been incarcerated in the house because of an unusually long and tiresome winter. Today we finally got a day up into the middle 50's which is the first time since last October. (Tell me again why we still live up here?...I seem to keep forgetting. :))
We still have a little patch of snow about a foot deep in the door yard, but I'm confident it will be gone by this time next week.
We got the bog up and running a couple of weeks ago and suffered no frozen/ broken pipes over the winter although I am convinced the bog froze solid during late Dec. early Jan. Being above ground we had dismantled the supply line and allowed it to drain, so whatever froze in the bog was equal pressure throughout the under-gravel level.
Today we got the skimmer up and running as well as the mechanical filter. We really need some warm days to get the bog plants going again as the pond is fairly green.
Speaking of bogs......some of you may remember the "Sky bogs". They were a success in function, but impractical as their volume wasn't sufficient to sustain the root systems of the plants. Last year, (which was the second year,) the root systems were so dense the water wasn't able to flow and spilled over the edges. Culling the plants was time consuming and had to be done too frequently, so we're going to retain the water supply side of the system, which is valved, put some potting soil up there, and plant annuals for the color aspect. As most of you know, being lazy I'm all for just turning a valve to water the plants!(y) My theory is one day to plant everything, maybe an hour to weed them once or twice during the summer, and an hour to rake out the planters in the fall. In the mean time I can amuse myself by shooting Japanese Beetles off the flowers with my pellet gun.
So, here we are on the cusp of a new season and we are SO looking forward to it after what seems like a long winter!

Here's hoping your respective seasons are successful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome back! We're all celebrating the return of spring... and hoping this time it's for real!

Thank you!
I dropped in from time to time to see what was going on, then when I'd see someone from a temperate climate having fun with their pond I'd get all depressed and didn't dare post anything because it would have been just to whine about how deeply frozen ours were up here.
I did do the under ice/under water GoPro thing the end of February to see if there was any activity and saw a couple of the named fish. This brightened me up a little just to know Mother Nature was keeping an eye on them and they appeared to be in good spirits.
One of them was particularly nosey and wanted to know who was intruding!
XCEL0872.JPG

So, now that spring seems to be making an appearance I guess I'll have to stop complaining about the cold, snow, and wind. Next I'll have issues with black flies (brutal biters!) mosquitoes, and slugs. Funny thing, the fish will spit out a slug, but almost fight over a grub. Picky, picky!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love Maine I worked on the Maine power reliability project for 5 years and I can give you a hole host of reasons why to stay. though if your up past Baxter or by Caribo ok I'm with you why. But i'd take Maine over ct any day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you JW and Addy ! I'll remember that cas :D

I love Maine I worked on the Maine power reliability project for 5 years and I can give you a hole host of reasons why to stay. though if your up past Baxter or by Caribo ok I'm with you why. But i'd take Maine over ct any day.

My remark was just part of a subtle whine. I'm in Maine by choice and have no desire to leave - I just talk big.:)

I have a shop that used to be a two car garage that has become my hobby work shop. My tools and work benches live in there to support my RC boat hobby. There's a wood stove, a small fridge, a coffee pot, and seems to be the neighborhood gossip place because there's often a neighbor or two and I just chatting and none of us is getting anything done. Having said that, there's very little to do outside during a four-five month long winter so I truly do look forward to the "Norman Rockwell Moments" sitting by the stove with a coffee and our respective dogs laying on the floor soaking up the heat from a wood fire.

I know I could live this scenario in another part of the country, but being in Maine seems to make it more genuine. (Ayuh!)
Then there's the beauty of Maine itself with it's small harbors, beautiful scenery, and less than an hour's drive from the coast to the mountains.

GB, I suspect there's far more CT transplants in Maine than Maine transplants to CT. CT is just another name for north NY isn't it? :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you JW and Addy ! I'll remember that cas :D

My remark was just part of a subtle whine. I'm in Maine by choice and have no desire to leave - I just talk big.:)

I have a shop that used to be a two car garage that has become my hobby work shop. My tools and work benches live in there to support my RC boat hobby. There's a wood stove, a small fridge, a coffee pot, and seems to be the neighborhood gossip place because there's often a neighbor or two and I just chatting and none of us is getting anything done. Having said that, there's very little to do outside during a four-five month long winter so I truly do look forward to the "Norman Rockwell Moments" sitting by the stove with a coffee and our respective dogs laying on the floor soaking up the heat from a wood fire.

I know I could live this scenario in another part of the country, but being in Maine seems to make it more genuine. (Ayuh!)
Then there's the beauty of Maine itself with it's small harbors, beautiful scenery, and less than an hour's drive from the coast to the mountains.

GB, I suspect there's far more CT transplants in Maine than Maine transplants to CT. CT is just another name for north NY isn't it? :D

Its the best kept secrete in the USA Maine actually has a smaller population today then it did back in the 1800's

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There's a wood stove, a small fridge, a coffee pot, and seems to be the neighborhood gossip place because there's often a neighbor or two and I just chatting and none of us is getting anything done.
How cool is that!! I would like a neighbor like you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I wondered where everyone went!:D

had our honey moon in nh and maine i have been to friendship maine before and loved it we mooned near it and wife liked it i want to retire there. wife no so much on bored she rather stay or go to something like god's waiting room ( FL )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How cool is that!! I would like a neighbor like you!

You're welcome anytime! Bring your pup too, I'm sure he/she and Buddy would get along fine. The only caveat would be as the seasons change, so do the venues. Late fall, winter and early spring is wood stove and shop whereas the late spring, summer and (best-of-the-year-time) early fall, is out in the "Inn" with coffee, tea, or an "adult beverage".

Winter
DSC01045.JPG

Summer
DSC00186.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
................... go to something like god's waiting room ( FL )

:D Hadn't heard FL called that before, but you're right! I have heard it called "Land of the newly wed and nearly dead" a place where "blue Q-tips are everywhere!"
When I was in the service we lived at Canaveral for a while, then down to Lauderdale for a couple years. It wasn't too bad and for certain sure one thing they have all over Maine is their tax structure!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
:D Hadn't heard FL called that before, but you're right! I have heard it called "Land of the newly wed and nearly dead" a place where "blue Q-tips are everywhere!"
When I was in the service we lived at Canaveral for a while, then down to Lauderdale for a couple years. It wasn't too bad and for certain sure one thing they have all over Maine is their tax structure!

Very impressive there Tim

Ask a Question