find UV lamp 40W; Length: 33.50" inches (843mm) for my koi pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Greetings!
Anybody know where to find such a sterilizer lamp? I found one on Amazon and bought it, but the electrical fittings on each end are about 2mm too wide and cracked the quartz sleeve into which I should insert it!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I guess you're replacing a lamp inside a UV device.
These type of things are usually a standard lamp made by a common bulb manufacturer.
Does the old lamp have any numbers on it?
Do an internet search with the numbers. That is how I found mine.
If you don't have the part number, look on the device's manufacturer website for the correct replacement lamp. Or email them.
There are way too many configurations to just go by looks alone. You're best to start with a part number.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I bought the lamp at a shop that went out of business, he was the biggest koi dealer in the whole area and had his own brand of equipment but sold the property and shut down completely. Rather disappointing. The power supply reads Advanced UV Light. The tube has a standard fluorescent circline-type connector on one end. The lamp that's too big is the correct length and has the correct standard connector but the collar around the tube is about 2mm too fat. The only marking on the old tube is indecipherable. I guess I'm up the creek and will need to buy an entire new UV sterilizer assembly. The fish are happy but the water is solid pea green.
UV_Lamp_EndCap.jpgUV_Lamp_connector_6x9mm.jpgUV_Lamp_length33_5-32nds_inches.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Those units can be quite expensive compared to just buying the actual lamp. In fact, the prices are totally ridiculous.
It would be worth it for you to do all you can to locate the proper lamp. And since those lamps should be changed yearly, you will need more in the future. You need to find that part number.

The one I have is completely different. I was hoping someone here had something similar that might help your search.

The only suggestion I can offer is to search the internet for some place that not only sells similar lamps, but also gives the complete and exact dimensions. Some sort of shop drawing or CAD drawing of the lamps they sell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I just did a quick search online and there are many suppliers of UV lamps. Most of them suggest calling them with the dimensions. Maybe send them pictures via email would help too. A few web searches and a few phone calls should get results. Don't forget to get the correct voltage and wattage. There is most likely a transformer somewhere, so the voltage at the socket my not be 120 volts. If you have a volt meter to test it, that might help. During your phone call, they should be able to go over all this with you.
I would suggest measuring the existing lamp with one of those vernier calipers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Joe,
Great, thanks. I will take a look. I used an adjustable wrench for a caliper. <8) Pretty sure the power is just like the ballast for a fluorescent lamp. It's quite funny that the tube I bought is exactly the same length, quartz tube exactly same diameter and has the same connectors as the old one, just the plastic fittings at the ends are too fat . Close but no cigar....
Karl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pentair Aquatic Eco-Systems has some nice UV light systems but they are pricey

Ask a Question