Fire Pits

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Seems fire pits are all the rage on the yard fix up shows I watch. With that mind I got to wonderin'.

"Would you want a decorative fire pit in your yard?"

Granted, fire pits are nice but not for us. To dang hot here most of the year as it is plus seems using one of those things would be a easy way to burn down a town or two. Heck, we can go outside right now and get the feeling of a fire pit quick, easy and free. Many places it cools down after dark. Here it just gets dark.

:wacky:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a fire pit and we love it! Use it all the time. Even on those hot summer nights it helps to smoke out the mosquitos. There's something elemental about fire... just like water. We sit around the fire with our grown up kids and tell funny stories, dumb jokes, and reminisce about life when they all lived at home - no distractions, no devices allowed. Add a few marshmallows and a cooler of beverages... now that's living!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think they're neat....when I camp with our Scout troop, but personally, not something we have a need/use for. But that's like the outdoor kitchens. Lots of people have them [even here, in the hot, humid SOUTH!] and use them, but cooking and entertaining isn't our lifestyle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool we could do with them here in the UK big Lou I hope they come across the pond , how much are thy by the way my friend ?

Dave

Reaction score
We have one in our yard. Its not a fancy one, my husband digs a hole and lines it with rocks. We LOVE IT!!! This year we have used it about 4 times (but since we didn't buy it, who cares). Its so hot here all the time, if the weather dips to the 70's at night we jump at a chance for the fire. Its more of a winter thing here. Summer its just wayyyyy too hot and too many bugs.

But come December, there is nothing like sitting around the fire, just us, with wine talking, connecting, planning. Love it. Add the kids in and its chaos trying to be sure no one gets too close, no one pokes an eye out with a stick - but hey, the kids love it and chaos is what having kids is about, right? Lol!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think they're neat....when I camp with our Scout troop, but personally, not something we have a need/use for. But that's like the outdoor kitchens. Lots of people have them [even here, in the hot, humid SOUTH!] and use them, but cooking and entertaining isn't our lifestyle.

A housed outdoor kitchen is a fun and entertaining Louisiana tradition. That's quite different for a fire pit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have one, just a hole dug and then lined with landscape blocks we already had. In June, July, Aug we don't use it so much but the rest of year we use it a lot. I also use it to burn yard waste.

As far as fire danger, it is always a good idea to have a hose close by and accessible. Though in 6 plus years we have never needed to use it but better to be safe than sorry.

I'll add every New Years Eve we have a big party out by the fire. New Years Eve around here can get down to 0 degrees F. But with a large fire, chili on the stove and hot rum and cider everyone stays toasty warm. It started as just me and hubby not wanting to leave the house on such a night so we drank by the fire. Then slowly more and more people began coming and now our friends expect it.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw this posted on FB....
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My husband already asked me to build him one when I build a new pond lol. We don't even have a contract yet.

Reaction score
[QUOTE="pecan, post: 232086, member: 3991"

I'll add every New Years Eve we have a big party out by the fire. New Years Eve around here can get down to 0 degrees F. But with a large fire, chili on the stove and hot rum and cider everyone stays toasty warm. It started as just me and hubby not wanting to leave the house on such a night so we drank by the fire. Then slowly more and more people began coming and now our friends expect it.[/QUOTE]

HA! Same as us! When we had our first son, Dec 2008, we couldn't leave him for NYE, so we started our tradition then. We have done it every year since, although we invite no one. Its a very private thing to us to reflect on the past year, talk about our kids. Where we want to retire to (seems to change annually lol). We look forward to it every year.

And SMORES! I make the marshmallows, we use high end chocolate, sprinkle with coconut or strawberries or both. Not traditional, a purist might snub us. Lol! Yummers!

Ask a Question