Firestone liner has holes after one year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi guys. I haven't posted in a long time. This April makes one year for our little pond. I was doing some maintenance when I noticed different types of holes along the liner, mostly out of the water or on the edge. So I pulled out the buried parts and noticed more. I also discovered termites under the liner. Not surprising, we have a tree only 10 feet away that has termites. So ok maybe the chewed on looking holes are insect damaged, BUT there are also slits, like straight cuts in the folded areas of the liner too. Anyone dealt with this? What would you recommend?

Attachments

• 1519924491592695868950.jpg
    1519924491592695868950.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 303

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
moles I have been there .The moles eat larvae from grubs and anything else .When I had to replace my liner I put down milky spore .Even field mice will chew a liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not moles. South louisina. I doubt mice the holes are under rocks and gravel. I think termite, but any treatment could kill my fish. The slits I think are from folds, but I had no idea that could happen. As of now the pond is not draining, but I'm very concerrned what I should do now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing you can really do about it now, I'm afraid, apart from either grin and bear it or to totally re-locate your pond I think would be the best bet

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So everyone thinks it's just termites doing all this damage? Evil little creatures. How about the holes that look like slits? It seems like two separate things to me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh the slits almost look like a knife cut .Do any critters with long nails get in the pond at night

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The second picture you posted is without question a termite tunnel leading up to the little hole . I'm sorry for your bad luck but I thank you for mine. As I am in an older home and have had termites . I will be making below the pond one toxic place

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The second picture you posted is without question a termite tunnel leading up to the little hole . I'm sorry for your bad luck but I thank you for mine. As I am in an older home and have had termites . I will be making below the pond one toxic place
Glad I could help. Lol. I never once saw anything about termites eating pond liners! It's rubber, not wood.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I doubt they are eating it but termites as I know it are called subteranium termites they have to return to the earth for minerals thus the all to familiar termite tunnels we all see so as they tunnel through the earth /dirt a little soft rubber I can see that it's a little obstacle.

Ask a Question