Firestone liner, how do you work the edge without rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So with all the wonderful help of this forum we got the pond up and running. But it doesn't look too good. We can not figure out what to do with the liner. It's so thick and on here, u guys clearly say don't cut it. We don't have large rocks to edge the whole pond in. It does not like to folded or roll up. My daughter came up with the idea to make very shollow shelves to hold pond rocks. So the rock can go past the liners edge. But im worried the rock will eventually fall to the pond bottom. One very kind poster on here talked about mortar, and using that to hold the rocks to the liner. But my daughter and I both thought it was just too advanced for us. We were to scared to try it. Does anyone have any thoughts about how to hide the liner. I'll post a picture of our attempts, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Again this is just a simple pond, but we would like it to look better.

Attachments

• 20170409_191614.jpg
    20170409_191614.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 530

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here's a diagram that I believe Lisak1 did that I think is very helpful. Dig out a shallow shelf to place your rocks on just below the water level. Bring the liner up and then place rocks on top of it. As long as the shelf is level, the rocks wont fall into the pond.

hiding the liner.png

I attached a picture of the side of my pond. You can see the one layer of rocks in the water.
2015-6-10 inside east (2).JPG

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can make rocks from cement waterbug on here makes them and there are plenty of videos on you tube on how to make them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
these rocks are good size for hiding liner too but this is one option

pondedgedesign.gif

trimmedandfinsihed.jpg

grassedgegrown.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
PlantShelf.jpg

Allows pond plants in the lower bed and terrestrial plants right up to the pond edge. These hide the liner very well. The concrete blocks make the edges very stable so the edge doesn't collapse when a person, dog, whatever walks close. The block also allows me to get the top of the pond very level which allows the pond to be filled right to the top. I also normally make a 2 pool pond so the level in the upper main pond/pool never changes.

WidePlantShelf2.jpg

The pond plant bed can be as wide as you like and width can vary.

JapaneseGarden05-56a719b45f9b58b7d0e6d543.jpg

Patio can overhang the water and hide liner.

rohoen_dock.jpg

In the top left of the pic is a row of vertical slats. It's a look I like a lot and is used in Japanese gardens. It represents a boat dock. So limited to one area is best imo. Pretty much any material can be used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here's a diagram that I believe Lisak1 did that I think is very helpful. Dig out a shallow shelf to place your rocks on just below the water level. Bring the liner up and then place rocks on top of it. As long as the shelf is level, the rocks wont fall into the pond.

View attachment 98646

I attached a picture of the side of my pond. You can see the one layer of rocks in the water.
View attachment 98648
Yes, your pond is so beautifully done. And what we were trying with the edge, but with much smaller rocks. So my thought is they will slide down, unlike your rocks which are heavy enough to stay in place. There is just no companies around here that sell rocks. You guys are so likely. The best I could find was 3 to 5 inch beach pebbles from walmart online. I like them, they have the same colors as the pavers in that area, just wish they were bigger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
you can make rocks from cement waterbug on here makes them and there are plenty of videos on you tube on how to make them
I have looked at this option, but seems it would take a lot of time. Orginally I want to mortar the hugh pieces of broken concrete we pulled out when digging. But again, just not sure we could do it right.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Absolutely unbelievable. You are absolutely right. Just did a search myself and there are no landscape rock suppliers in the Greater New Orleans area. The closest is Baton Rouge----Woerner Landscaping.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used paving stones, landscape edging and small bagged rock to edge mine. There is a great rock place right over the state line in MS. Almost all the rock I have I got from them.
I also made pouches to hold the rocks on some of my steeper sides, I got the idea from sissy and made them out of window screen.
You can see my pond if you click my showcase link below. Welcome from South MS

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
And what we were trying with the edge, but with much smaller rocks.
Any construction going on around you? I visited empty lots where they were putting in a new house or a new shopping center and then looked around for any rocks that they had uncovered. It took me all summer, but all of my rocks were collected that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
As a temporary cover-up, I just used strips of burlap about 12" wide and 4-6' long, tucked under the turf and hanging over the sides of the pond. It took a while for the burlap to soak up water and sink. Then I sprinkled coarse sand over it all, which even stuck and stayed at a steep angle. After a heavy rain, the sand stayed put pretty well and it looks much better than the rubber liner. In fact, it looks good enough I wish it was permanent. I'd take a photo to show it off, but the weather is outright nasty right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Absolutely unbelievable. You are absolutely right. Just did a search myself and there are no landscape rock suppliers in the Greater New Orleans area. The closest is Baton Rouge----Woerner Landscaping.
Yep I don't get it, seems like a miss opportunity for someone. Never thought the hardest part of my pond would be rocks. Lol. I don't understand the ones saying they bury the liner with a lip or bumb sticking up, you can't really plant on top of a few inches of dirt?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As a temporary cover-up, I just used strips of burlap about 12" wide and 4-6' long, tucked under the turf and hanging over the sides of the pond. It took a while for the burlap to soak up water and sink. Then I sprinkled coarse sand over it all, which even stuck and stayed at a steep angle. After a heavy rain, the sand stayed put pretty well and it looks much better than the rubber liner. In fact, it looks good enough I wish it was permanent. I'd take a photo to show it off, but the weather is outright nasty right now.
Sounds similar to that rock and roll stuff. I think another problem I have, is I went with a completely odd shape, I think straighter sides would be much easier with this thick liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any construction going on around you? I visited empty lots where they were putting in a new house or a new shopping center and then looked around for any rocks that they had uncovered. It took me all summer, but all of my rocks were collected that way.
Sadly I live in swamp land, when I got the beach pebbles in my 3 kids looked at every rock, you just don't see that around here. Lol. Told hubby time to take a rock collection trip. Kids would probably love to dig up some real rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I braved the cold rain and took a shot of the burlap and sand edge. It's been in place for 3 2weeks now and looks much better, at least until I get to the landscaping of this area. So here's before and after. Being temporary, I wanted a cheap and easy fix. The coarse burlap holds the sand in place really well!

burlap edge.jpg

Ask a Question