Firestone PondGard vs GeoGard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I posted a while back with a hare brained scheme for a bog filter in a barrel on the level below the pond. Have now scrapped that idea thanks to some awesome input from you guys, thanks!

My new plan is coming along. It's a small (by your awesome pond standards), shallow, basic pond with a bog filter. 7m long (21ft), 3m wide (10ft), and 2ft deep in the deepest spot (I can't go much deeper or problems will happen with my retaining wall). I'll post a plan and some pics soon.

Anyway, my question at this point is the difference between Firestone GeoGard and PondGard. And also while I'm at it, "Aqua Tough" Carlisle EDPM liner. I'll number the questions if that's OK, to keep it clear:

1. Firestone EDPM liners: GeoGard is 1.14mm thick and PondGard 1.02mm thick. GeoGard is advertised as for dams and agobusinesses. Has anyone had experience laying GeoGard in a small backyard pond. Does it go down pretty much the same as PondGard? My concern is that I have steps and shelves and it's not a massive pond to start with so if GeoGard doesn't bend as easily then it might not contour to the pond as well. However, with it's 7.6m lengths it works out about 2/3 the price of PondGard for the size piece I need (7m x 5m approx), since for PondGard I need to buy 7x 6m length (nobody actually has the 4.88m rolls here for some reason). I'll get the PondGard if it is significantly more supple and easy to contour into the pond's bends, but if not then GeoGard is cheaper and stronger. Does anyone know please?

2. There is an "Aqua Tough" brand liner that is the right size for my pond. It is more expensive than GeoGard but cheaper than PondGard. It claims to have a special "J Curve Tear" property. Does anyone know about this brand? Is it as good as Firestone? It's US made and this J-Tear doesn't sound bad.

If anyone has any advice about those two points I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks, Chris

Here are some links of the various products:

Aqua Tough - https://lovemypond.com.au/product/aqua-tough-epdm-pond-liner-bagged-4-57m-x-7-62m/
GeoGard - https://lovemypond.com.au/product/firestone-geogard-7-62m-x-1-14mm-thick-per-metre/#
PondGard - https://www.thefishworks.com.au/firestone-epdm-fish-pond-liner-6-metres-wide-2.html

Aquatough Links:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sorry - I can only speak for EPDM. However, I honestly believe if there were a better product (for standard pond use) the pros would have moved to it years ago. They all use 45 mil EPDM. I don't think brand matters, though.

@addy1 used a different product in her pond - perhaps she will pop in here and share about it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Thanks Lisak. All those products I was listing are all EPDM, just different types. The PondGard and AquaTough are both 1.05mm (45mil) and the GeoGard is 1.15mm (a touch thicker than 45mil). PondGard and GeoGard are Firestone EPDM and AquaTough is Carlisle EPDM.

I'm just wondering if the thicker GeoGard EPDM is harder to mould to the contours of the pond, or if the slightly thicker EPDM makes no real difference in that respect.

Then if anyone knows if the AquaTough Carlisle EPDM is as good as the Firestone, that info would also be useful.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
All good thanks all. I got a response from the shop and they say there is no discernible difference in flexibility between the GeoGard and PondGard so they recommend GeoGard where possible as it's a bit thicker and tougher. Ordered my piece of it now, looking forward to getting this pond in. Cheers!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe the differences are in a treating. I was told years ago it was a powder that they use which helps with fire or uv. I have used firestone anjon and carlise rubbers and it's a crap shoot i have received firestone rubbers that had flaws and holes in the rubber from the factory as in a defect. while a carlise was mint to a carlise that was a mess to a firestone that was mint . i only used the firestone as the rubber on the project with literally tons of rock sitting on it and the absolute last thing you ever want is a leak. So for me i have only used firestone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Thanks guys. I spoke to the supplier here in Oz of firestone and he told me that the Firestone PondGard and GeoGard are basically as flexible as each other, but the GeoGard is a good bit thicker so he recommended I use that, so that's what I ended up getting. Cheers all!

Ask a Question