First aid for hanging baskets

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Every year after the 4th of July my hanging baskets of flowers start to look a little tired. I've always cut them back and fertilized and then waited a few weeks for them to bounce back. Basically they look terrible for a month or so.

This year I noticed they needed to be addressed but first I needed to water them. Being short on time, I plopped a few of them into the rain exchange - when the pond is full we have a pool of water there. When I pulled them out the next morning I was SHOCKED by how good they looked. They were green and vibrant and no longer looked like they needed anything other than being hung back up to enjoy!

I routinely water them from the pond, but the baskets don't really hold a lot of water. I think the difference was they were able to get a good long drink and really take up the nutrients that are in the water. And it sure is easier than hauling water!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I learned a long time ago how to make baskets of flowers last longer and hold water better was disposable diapers in the bottom .You can see what they hold for babies and they hold the same amount of water .I put slow release fertilizer in the diaper and unfold it completely in the bottom of the planter before I put the dirt and plant in .I use the coco mats and put the diaper inside of it .I buy the cheapest diapers or you can buy the incontinence pads also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I learned a long time ago how to make baskets of flowers last longer and hold water better was disposable diapers in the bottom .You can see what they hold for babies and they hold the same amount of water .I put slow release fertilizer in the diaper and unfold it completely in the bottom of the planter before I put the dirt and plant in .I use the coco mats and put the diaper inside of it .I buy the cheapest diapers or you can buy the incontinence pads also .
Sissy you seem to be full of tricks. I just read about your hanging pouches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In the nursery I worked in that's how heavy drinking plants were watered. We would fill barrels with water in the tunnel, each pot was then dunked until most of the air bubbles had left the pot. Had to make sure they all had enough water so they did not suffer problems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
disposable diapers in the bottom

I've heard that trick and can see how it would work, however I don't plant my own hanging baskets. I buy them planted from the nursery all fully grown. I used to plant them but it would take forever for them to fill out and look pretty. And I found I wasn't really saving all that much money by planting my own.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Neat trick will definitely give it a try!
I work with infants and toddlers, when my husband see me diapering my plants he'll think I have finally lost it!
smlaughing4.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
compost tea will make plants grow really fast .I use that and miracle grow and epsom salt

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
compost tea will make plants grow really fast .I use that and miracle grow and epsom salt
I'm trying Epsom salt this year for the first time, on my tomatoes, I can't say for sure that it's making a difference but the yellowing of the bottom leaves seems to have stopped

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use it with fertilizer on my trees and grass and just about every veggie I grow .I still have strawberries .Epsom salts softens the soil and also makes in fertilizer work better

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I work with infants and toddlers, when my husband see me diapering my plants he'll think I have finally lost it!View attachment 114678
:D lol
I work with infants and toddlers, when my husband see me diapering my plants he'll think I have finally lost it!View attachment 114678
I told my husband he better pick up some diapers next time he was a bjs as I would need them, he just about spat his coffee across the floor.:ROFLMAO:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get mine at the dollar store 3.99 last time for 12 because the package was open the lady said 2 dollars

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would caution you to choose carefully if you are going to use this disposable diaper trick. I stopped using disposables when my kids were babies when I learned what was in them that made them so absorbent. They are loaded with all kinds of chemicals and polymers that are known to be toxic. I'm old enough to remember when one version of this absorbent material worked so well that it was literally absorbing moisture out of the baby's skin. If you do use them, be careful how you dispose of them when you empty your pots at the end of the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use gel beads, I just though the diapers idea was so good, when @Gemma had mentioned her husband, it just gave the the idea. It was so funny, his reaction. I have told people about the diapers for plants, I think @sissy needs a you tube channel.

Ask a Question