First attempt at a large pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello everyone. We are in the process of building a pond on the side of our house. It will be quite the project for us but we are very excited. The project seems to get bigger and more evolved every month. It is about 15'x20' and 5' deep (originally suppose to be 14' diameter and 5' deep. It sits next to a hillside so we intend to create a natural looking waterfall that will flow into it. I had also been reading up bog filtration and think I would like to incorporate that into the pond in addition to a home made skimmer and possibly a little mechanical filtration. I do plan to also have a bottom drain that i can drain into the garden area. But I really want the bog to do the bulk of the work. After a lot of research we decided to go with a 45mil epdm liner.

I wanted to join to share experiences and gain inspiration from those with a shared passion. Thank you in advance for your assistance and shared experiences.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20170826_181025.jpg

20170826_181022.jpg
20170826_181011.jpg
20170910_172933.jpg
20171021_092147.jpg

A few progress pics from where we laid out the outline to getting the hole to depth just as fall hit.

Attachments

• 20170921_160741.jpg
    20170921_160741.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 373
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome! Make sure you take lots of photos of your pond build in progress, and while you're at it share them with us! We love pictures!

Thank you I absolutely will. Posted a fee the securityfeature on my phone seems to want to block me uploading them so I will need to time a faster way.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Go over to the construction thread and start your construction project there. We will all love to follow along.

Looks like it will be a beautiful spot for a pond and a waterway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the Forum @Telion I too look forward to following your project!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!
Looks like a great project in a beautiful spot!
Thank you the land layout was the biggest factor in why we bought where we did. I will try to find a pic of this but the pond sits between the house and the pergola that over looks the valley and the goal is to put in a french door off the bedroom that exits to where the pond is.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you the land layout was the biggest factor in why we bought where we did. I will try to find a pic of this but the pond sits between the house and the pergola that over looks the valley and the goal is to put in a french door off the bedroom that exits to where the pond is.

That sounds like it's going to be an amazing backyard retreat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A couple more pics not of the pond but related one is a shot of the pergolas base being built before the hole was dug in the snow. And the other is the corner of the pergola opposite the pond looking into the valley.
20170302_112514.jpg
IMG_20170721_142835.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks real nice; quite a view you have! Good luck and good digging!

Oh, and @Lisak1 was supposed to throw in support for your bog idea, but she's been slackin' lately. Good idea! But don't make the bog the sole filter (or even main one, imo); I did that and it was fine for a couple of years but it eventually clogged and I had to dig it up and clean it. Now, I have a mechanical drum filter pre-bog and shouldn't expect to ever do that again. addy has had good luck so far with only a bog, but hers is like the size of Montana, so go that route if you are only thinking bog!

Michael

Ask a Question