first barge of animals goes around

SE18

David V
Reaction score
The use of a drawbar enabled me to circumnavigate my aqueduct so traffic is now open on the waterway and livestock can now be transported to marked. A lot of real canals used to have trains tow barges. I think the Panama canal is the only one left as most barges are self powered or moved by tug.

here's a turnof last century postcard showing barge

Attachments

• barge postcardac3.jpg
    barge postcardac3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 288

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well my gosh if that isn't the neatest thing I've seen in a long time! How clever and even shows a part of history on how it's done. Love it SE!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Like it. Is there any way to keep the barge from bumping into the side of the channel. I was thinking a small keel running the entire length of the barge maybe 1/2 in tall. Not sure if the channel will let you do that.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thx all,

a keel might do, but I'm thinking that sometimes the physics of small objects don't directly translate from large objects

I also considered an r/c operated rudder. A lot of things to consider

That was just my first try. The boom will get to the optimal length. Absent success there, cat whisker on one or both sides. Cat whisker would be a piano wire swept back at say, 30 degrees below waterline, where it'd be unseen

right now, I was just stoked getting the thing to work on the first try. I also need to put some batteries in the critter pulling it. Four AAs normally last for a full day's run or more

Also, instead of a tow rope, I could replace it with a boom. Another idea is to shorten the tow. Right now you can see it's shortened by wrapping it around the horizontal boom as I'm still getting all the dimensions figured out.

ultimate goal is to string several barges together and tow those so it really looks industrial. I also need to fix all my leaky barges or make some out of steel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
David that is like so very cool god I wish I hadn't thrown my trainset out many years ago now lol, we have like minature villages etc in the UK with cars and boats running along a track a little like one or two of the rides in Disney World back in the 70's dont know if things have changed since my las visit being in 1979-1980 on my last Aircraft Carrier .
But cudos to you for thinking it up and building it , its fantastic .
Heres a treat for you follow this link you'll be amazed :-

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

I truely hope this will inspire your endevors even more

rgrds

Dave

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Dave,

That setup in Germany is indoors. There's a lot of nice detailing that was done. My outdoor area cannot have all that detailing mainly due to the hounds. Whenever I set up a building or figures, they get knocked down.

So I've taken to making everything houndproof, i.e., made of steel and concrete.

There's a lot of plans for that, such as a crane to lift boats and cargoes. That will be steel construction, welded or brazed.

There's a lot more that I'll do but my first priority was to get everything simply running

I keep looking for, but cannot find anyone who has done an outdoor model railway replicating the barge towing railways that once existed for thousands of miles. It would be nice if someone else had something similar so we could correspond and trade ideas so for now, I'll just have to go it alone and develop my own ideas

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Hi, got my first string of barges going. I used those ball/swivel deals that fishermen use to connect the barges together and some twine.

thanks, guys, spent a few hours running 8 barges around. Thought you might like to see. I'll fill them with gravel next; surprised the little critter didn't even seem to notice there was a train of barges

got a spare mule just in case

Attachments

• DSC_2065.jpg
    DSC_2065.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_2067.jpg
    DSC_2067.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_2076.jpg
    DSC_2076.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 271

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wish I was tiny enough to go for a ride on your barges................it's quite relaxing watching it go around and listening to the water :cheerful:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
moo moo and a oinker ,in first video you must have walked into something and poor moo moo and oinker got there feet wet

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to build a train Just a decoration though
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:49492]

Ask a Question