First bout of ich...

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
So I'm pretty sure there is ich present in the pond. I'm not having any luck searching for 3 letter word so I hope I'm not posting something that's been discussed ad nauseum already.

What's the best way to treat this?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
here is what the net says, I have read, somewhere, that salt works well

http://www.ehow.com/how_5891304_treat-ich-ponds.html

you can treat your pond with salt and it will cure ich
buy a box of ice cream salt at the grocery store, it weighs 4 lbs
next you need to calculate the size of your pond (how many gallons of water) then add about 1 lb of salt for every 200 gal
of water, wait 3 days, change about half of the water and treat it again, that should do the trick
if you could catch the ones with the ich you could treat each one in a bucket, just fill 2 buckets with pond water, add a large handful of salt to one of the buckets, add the fish and then net him out as soon as he "faints" and put him in the
other bucket with the fresh water

good luck
Source(s):
goldfish breeder 35 yrs
pondkeeper 30 yrs

1. Perform a 25% water change before treatment begins for ich.
2. Remove activated carbon from aquarium filter or pond filter.
3. Increase aeration during ich treatment as fish medication lowers oxygen levels in your aquarium or pond.
4. Add 1 teaspoon or 5 ml of Malachite Green for every 50 gallons of water.
5. Observe koi fish for any signs of distress and if koi fish show any signs of stress, such as gasping at the surface perform immediate 25% water change and add activated carbon back to filter to remove ich treatment medication.
6. If no signs of stress are present, treat koi fish for 10 days and do a 25% water change in between treatments.
When treating ich fish disease be sure to treat for the full recommended treatment as suggested by the ich treatment medication that you are using. Ich or commonly known as white spot disease can only be killed during the free swimming stage. Once the eggs hatch is when the fish medication goes to work to get rid of ich. Malachite green is an effective treatment medication against ich. Once you know how to treat ich fish disease you should have any problem treating against it. Knowledge is the key to fish care when it comes to common fish diseases and parasites.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks... I'm trying Ich-X and see how that works. I'm afraid of salt because I read it'll kill the plants, and I have a LOT of plants in the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read that x level of salt will kill the plants, but I don't know the x...............

I would hate to kill off my plants, hope it works for you.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks I knew there was some level that would kill the plants

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I think I got rid of the ich now... no more with spots on the fins. Not there seems to be small ulcers and dorsal fin "rot" on one of the fishes. I'm treating it with Melafix right now, but the stuff makes the pond look like a bubble bath (and kinda smells like it too). Fish seems nonplussed about it though. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

From what I've been reading, this seems to happen sooner or later to every pond...

Ask a Question