First ever pond - plant question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My first post.

I have lots of experience with freshwater and marine aquariums and fancy having a go at my first pond. Thinking of a 1 meter length pre-formed and a small waterfall/filter box.

I was wondering if this would be a bad time to start a new pond though, in terms of what plants will be available this time of year. Are there any plants that I could grow during autumn / winter or is that a time where pond plants die off ?

I live in south wales so obviously gets quite cold, and looking at a spot which should get a few hours direct sunlight in the winter but not sure during the winter.

Thanks,
Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

It is never a bad time to start your pond, I would not put fish in until the spring so it has time to cycle etc. I started my bog late fall, bought what plants I could find and in the spring they took off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Dave! Agree with @addy1, start as soon as you can with hardy (no tropical) plants. Look for hardy water lilies. The only condition is making sure your pond does not freeze solid. Surface ice is fine but if the entire pond freezes completely your plants will most likely fail. How deep is your pond and how many gallons? Please feel free to ask questions about you future pond. We are here to help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks both for the welcome. I was thinking about a small preformed pond just to start me off, as I have a small area by my decking which is flat - hopefully I'll get hooked then move onto a much larger one in the middle of the lawn later.

The ones that are 1 meter long all look to be 30cm deep and hold around 140 litres.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I were you I would do a small piece of liner. I had two preforms, both cracked over one of our winters. Hard to level, hard to keep level etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering that, as they do appear very cheap at £30. I'm not sure about the edging with a liner, does it have to come up over the lawn and held down with stones or can it be cut flush with the grass level ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1632761698634.gif
@Dave12345
I agree, do liner and you will be much happier. You can form it however you like. If you do it flush w/the level of the land you will have issues w/runoff into your pond water. Dirt, chemicals anything on the land. Make a berm around it so it is higher up and then add anything you like around the area. The more natural looking the better. Take a look at ponds here and how they have added to the edges. Also make a step around the top edge so you can add rocks there to hide the liner at water level. I used rock and sprawling plants but you can do lots more different ideas seeing what others have done.
See the lower rocks are on the short step down in the water, than other rocks towards the back of them on top edge of pond on berm.

IMG_7438.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all. Think I'm going for liner, but in a larger location further down the garden instead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The site I am considering will have the pond mostly in direct sunlight for a few hours each day during the summer, but at the moment as the sun is lower in the sky it would be in shade all of the day from the shadow of the fence. Does this mean it's not a suitable site as it needs at least a few hours of direct sunlight all year round ?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The site I am considering will have the pond mostly in direct sunlight for a few hours each day during the summer, but at the moment as the sun is lower in the sky it would be in shade all of the day from the shadow of the fence. Does this mean it's not a suitable site as it needs at least a few hours of direct sunlight all year round ?
Really depends on the plants you want to keep. Doesn’t mean you can’t keep any plants, just means you are limited to mostly shade loving plants.

Ask a Question