First ever pond this summer planned . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hi! It was suggested I join this forum to get information about starting my first ever pond this spring/summer. I've always enjoyed them, but never had one. I have a sister who has Koi, previously lived in WI, now in AZ and she has a HUGE pond there.
I live in the country, however large trees are few on my 6 acres of property, closest is 100' away. Pond will be on east side of my house, open to wind (I'm on the "prairie") and will have little bit of shelter on south side from deck, placing it about 15' from the house. Would love to have a water wheel that flows into the pond, and possibly waterfall.
I just bought a 55 gal aquarium, which came with large Oranda Fantail goldfish, plus 2 smaller longtail goldfish, 1 Shubunkin, and 1 regular goldfish. I would like to put these eventually in a pond, once it is built and "seasoned", and possibly add Koi. I have well water, water softener in house (outside water comes through softener, but also have access to 2 wells directly), so have lots of possibilities of water quality. :)
I'll sit back and read now, and learn from your posts! Thanks ahead of time for the site and information I will gather.
Patti

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
frog-1-1.jpg
Patti
You can post more questions on your pond in the pond sections of the forum. Tell us how big your pond is going to be etc. so we will have a better idea on how to help you.
I know that it gets very cold in Illinois so I would not recommend putting the fancy Oranda in an outside pond. They can't take the cold like the others can. They also don't move as fast as the more streamlined goldfish so can't compete for food. So I would just keep the slow moving fancies in the aquarium in the house. Nice to meet ya :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, J.W. One of the things I have not decided on is size, but I'm tentatively thinking of about 5'x6' and 3' deep, with a ledge on one end. I don't have any of the normal critters most have to deal with (raccoons, skunks, etc.) since I have 2 Golden Retrievers and 3 Boston Terriers, so I think the ledge will be ok. I will have to make it less inviting for the dogs to drink out of, so thinking edging should be somewhat shaky? I have heard the Oranda should be kept inside, and assume that's what most will tell me. As I learn more, I will ask more! I guess I should ask on the normal area you're saying, then, in the more specific areas? I'm just a first day user, so I'll learn as I go, with more guidance from those like yourself. Thanks! Patti

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with fancies in a summer pond. They just have to come in before it gets cold. Ponds are full of food, so competition isn't a problem. Now if you were talking about some of the severely deformed fancies it would be different, but orandas are pretty vigorous.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the pond family!

smileywelcome687.gif

Post pictures of your planned site, do some simple drawings of your layout. The more information we get the more peeps can help you.

Post what size you are thinking of also, that makes a difference in the type of equipment you will need.

And have fun!

Deep is good esp if you have cold winters, helps the fish survive easier.

With dogs, make a walk out area, so if they do fall in they can get out. My neighbors dog fell in mine, he circled the pond trying to get out until he found the shallow area and just walked out. He was out before I could get dressed to save him lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Addy. I definitely plan to have fun! Hard work is something I enjoy, so digging will be no problem. Good idea of the walkway out! I guess if my dogs drink the water, it's no big deal. Not sure how to do a drawing, unless I draw it out, take a picture, and then figure out how to post the picture! Could try that, when I get to that point. I'm wondering if a 5'x6' pond is big enough, or is that something that will just be a "teaser", and I will forever wish I had made it larger? I don't intend on having huge numbers of fish, rather quality in what I have.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome country and I guess you will have to make it less inviting with that many dogs and a hot day they will drink it dry .Also try to think about the electric as you have to have that .You build small you always go bigger because when you get addicted to ponding you will always say should have gone bigger .I built my 1st small had to go bigger .The addiction to ponding gets worse when you start

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Start looking at liner options first. That will determine your maximum width and depth. The EPDM liner I bought, came in 15 foot widths and up to 50 feet long.
Of course you can splice them, but unless you are very handy with chemicals and skilled in this, I don't reccommend it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Dave! I now have a running list of notes from information I am picking up on this site! Very informative. I will check into the liner you mentioned. And, as someone else posted, the more you spend, the longer it will last, so I will not be looking at cheap! I'm really getting excited to start, but first must find liner, as you say, and decide on size. And, I guess I need to draw it out, how I want the ledge, etc., and then do some figuring to see what size of liner piece I will need.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bend tarp and liner I use comes in any size you need. Not real expensive and is very tough.

http://www.btlliners.com/

I have used it on 3 ponds now, survives deer hoofs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks Addy and Dave for suggestions of liner websites. It was helpful to look at their "calculators" to come up with size of liner. Looks like I will need minimum 15x20, maybe larger. And so the search continues . . . :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi CountryEscape, Welcome to the forum. My pond/watergarden is around the size you are thinking. I have 10 goldfish and a frog. My pond has a pump,bio-filter, waterfall, and a couple airstones. It is a pretty simple system and easy to maintain. Make sure when you dig your pond it is not set at the same height or lower than the area around it. Otherwise you will get water runoff into your pond which may hurt your fish with chemicals from your lawn or garden. Good luck with your pond!

Ask a Question