First ever pond this summer planned . . .

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CountryEscape, Mar 20, 2011.

1. CountryEscape

DrDave Innovator Moderator

You can also add French drains around the area where runnoff gets in.

DrDave, Mar 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. CountryEscape

shakaho

Addy, are you using the PPL-24? That's what I'm planning to get for my new pond.

shakaho, Mar 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. CountryEscape

CometKeith

Sissy, My frog didn't show up by accident. I bought him as a bullfrog tadpole. Now that I know a lot more about bullfrogs I am hoping it is not a male!

CometKeith, Mar 22, 2011
  4. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

ok see I get tons of frogs here and my koi kill them and I catch them, walk down across the yard, cross the road then across the field through the woods to the creek and tell them to stay there but I think they come right back because sure that frog face I've seen before . LOL

sissy, Mar 22, 2011
  5. CountryEscape

CountryEscape

OK, ComeKeith and Sissy, if anyone wants any bullfrogs, or the smaller version that are in ponds, just come to my house! LOL I saw huge tadpoles this evening in the edge of my farm pond, my Golden loves to "hunt" for them. I'm assuming they are bullfrogs. I love to listen to the bullfrogs in the spring, wish they "sang" all summer long! Dr. Dave, can you explain what a "French drain" is? I'm assuming some type of pipe with drain holes, but not certain, and can't find anything about it yet.

CountryEscape, Mar 22, 2011
  6. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

hey have to admit the frogs give me exercise . french drain is a pipe with a sleeve over it buried to allow water to be directed away from the pond . The pipe has holes in it to allow surface water to drain away from the area and is usually buried in stone so the sleeve and holes do not become clogged with dirt or silt .easy explanation

sissy, Mar 22, 2011
  7. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

They use it to direct water away from retaining walls or the foundation of houses

sissy, Mar 22, 2011
  8. CountryEscape

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Basically you are digging a depression/shallow pit/ It can be the length of the pond or where ever you need to path water from. In this area you can put in drain pipes, gravel cover with landscape fabric then cover with your dirt. I left mine open, shallow depressions with gravel that paths the water around the edge of the pond.

Here are some images of french drains

http://www.google.com/images?q=fren...eJcy-0QH9sb3rDQ&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=600

There are many ways to make them.

addy1, Mar 22, 2011
  9. CountryEscape

DrDave Innovator Moderator

I buy French drain pipe at Home Depot in 100' lengths. It is 3" or 4" diameter with many holes in it. Addy covered the installation part.

DrDave, Mar 22, 2011
  10. CountryEscape

CountryEscape

Thanks so much, Addy and Dave. Wow, that site had tons of pics. Guess I didn't search correctly. The bad thing about my property is that my yard is soooo flat, I would not have a place for water to drain away or come out of the pipe, but I will watch the flow, and make sure my pond is well above level of the ground. Have been looking at pics on the Forum, of ponds in progress and completed, as well as filters DIY. Very informative. :)

CountryEscape, Mar 22, 2011
  11. CountryEscape

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

you need just build up the edge of your pond above grade. its as easy as using some 4" - 6" bender board type landscape trim around the edge fastened (screwed) to some stakes. you can fasten the bender board to the stakes perfectly level no matter the level of the terrain then use the dirt from your dig to back fill up the appropriate level after dropping in the liner and filling. this will make your pond perfectl level and hide the excess liner at the same time...taper the dirt away from the pond for run off !!

koiguy1969, Mar 22, 2011
  12. CountryEscape

taherrmann4 Tmann

Things I would have done differently:
    1. French drain around the pond
    2. Bottom Drain
    3. Install a pond sieve filter
    4. Made it 4' deep at the deepest point
    5. Made my own filter (cheaper)
    6. Join a garden pond forum before I started (which you did)
    7. Plan your trees and landscaping carefully they may be small now but in a year they may be too large for the area.

Most importantly have fun doing it.

taherrmann4, Mar 26, 2011
  13. CountryEscape

j.w I Love my Goldies

Very good advice taherrmann4 :lol:

j.w, Mar 26, 2011
  14. CountryEscape

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

CountryEscape, welcome aboard. I wish I had had all this great advice and input when I first started. But when I started we didn't even have computers yet so it was all older books to try and go by. I will say one of the biggest mistakes for most first time ponders is going to small. In your region I would for sure have at least 50% of your bottom pond area 4' deep or even a little deeper. If your even considering Koi, Plan your pond to have plenty of swimming room. Put in a bottom drain, Plan your plumbing carefully, ease of maintance is a big key to enjoying the pond. When figuring your plumbing plan for the pump to have the largest size possible pipe to move water from the pump to the waterfall if you decide to use one, It is far easier to restrict flow than to get additional flow rates. Also if you need to add valves plan for a extra. Have a Tee or place to add a tee and valve just in case you need it later. You've found a great place to get all the info you need for sucess. Good luck and look forward to seeing your new pond when you get started.

fishin4cars, Mar 26, 2011
  15. CountryEscape

Laughing fishin..............same here, no computers, no internet, just reading and seat of the pants. Learn as you go in some ways, love the net and the ability to look up information and get advice.

addy1, Mar 26, 2011
  16. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

The net is great for just everything and don'y know how we really lived with out it .Not sure I could ever get info as easly and as fast as I do know and this sight is what made me reconsider my filters and waterfall and redo them

sissy, Mar 26, 2011
  17. CountryEscape

Hand written flash cards sissy! lmao and the library.

addy1, Mar 26, 2011
  18. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

true but then you had to get there and we thought we had it great ,jokes on us .I found the puter great for even looking up my ancestry and I'm amazed at what I found .My parents never ever ever told me I had a twin sister who was born dead and how my fathers mother came here from Germany and had 18 children and my moms family came here from Holland and had 14 children never new all my aunts and uncles and have been finding cousins I had no clue about .Amazing thing really .We were dummies and thought we were smart geeze lol at least I thought I had half a brain:lol::lol::lol::lol:

sissy, Mar 26, 2011
  19. CountryEscape

Sorry missed this post, yes ppl-24 for my arizona pond, ppl-36 for this pond in maryland. We have so much rock they recommended going to the ppl-336.. Both are very tough.

and the cost was not that bad,.

addy1, Mar 26, 2011
  20. CountryEscape

CountryEscape

Internet is something else! We were just talking today how when I was a child (ok, it was 40 years ago!) and had an aquarium, I don't remember anyone telling me I had to float the bags first! I just dumped those fish into the aquarium. Tonight, I took close to an hour to acclimate them. And, I have to say, reading your posts is much more fun and enjoyable than buying a book. :) I will post drawing and site pics when I get to that point, and get input before going too much farther. I will have to find someone close to go see their pond first-hand, and get pointers on pumps and filter set-ups to see how things actually work. Pictures do wonders for me as well, so there will be lots of them when I get started, and sure enjoy those from others on this Forum.

CountryEscape, Mar 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question