First ever pond this summer planned . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Awesome advise, Keith! Thanks. I have added that to my "notes". I'm keeping a Word document open for notes when people post something. It's about a half page long so far, and I just joined this afternoon. :) It's good to know the word "easy" comes with ponds! Where I live, I will have very little leaf problem, which seems to be most people's cleaning issues. Woohoo! Yet another reason trees are not always a good thing. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have pages of notes, when I built my arizona pond, this one was more seat of pants lol, but did do drawings to help lay it out and the plumbing.

On the uphill side of the pond and streams, I have the ground built up higher than the pond/stream and also added gravel lined french drains. I also tried to slope the land to direct runoff around the pond. So far it is doing well with rain run off. Put in a dry stream bed of pea gravel to send the water the right direction.

Watch how water flows in your yard before you start digging, take some pictures during hard rain storms if you see any issues that will help you remember what you saw lol. I went out during many storms to figure out the drainage on our slope before I put the first hole in the ground. Saved a lot of headaches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, I know someone made the comment to be sure pond level was higher than my yard, and since my yard is VERY level, I will be sure about that. But, you have brought up more possible problems with the direction of water draining away from house and thus the pond. The idea of slight ditches on the outside of the pond, disguised as streams or walkways is something I will need to implement, I believe. There will be lots of rain between now and when I get to start digging, so I will be very watchful. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It helps, cometkeith made the comment lol about the pond level.

Even level land has a run off pattern, It helped me a lot knowing how our water ran during storms, my pond is at the bottom of a serious slope.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cometkeith ten goldfish and one frog you never have one frog I have found out in the past there are always more lurking in the background LOL .I have found even though I have no trees anywhere around the pond ,with the wind comes leaves and I still get them in my pond .I had to run over to my neighbors yesterday he forgot and mowed the grass towards the pond geeze lol I know when I planned my second pond it took several storms going by for me deciding where I had to put the pond .I wanted it close to my front porch so I could look down and see it from there and hear it from there .I see a few ponds that have it very near decks and patios so they can here it and see it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sissy, My frog didn't show up by accident. I bought him as a bullfrog tadpole. Now that I know a lot more about bullfrogs I am hoping it is not a male!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok see I get tons of frogs here and my koi kill them and I catch them, walk down across the yard, cross the road then across the field through the woods to the creek and tell them to stay there but I think they come right back because sure that frog face I've seen before . LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, ComeKeith and Sissy, if anyone wants any bullfrogs, or the smaller version that are in ponds, just come to my house! LOL I saw huge tadpoles this evening in the edge of my farm pond, my Golden loves to "hunt" for them. I'm assuming they are bullfrogs. I love to listen to the bullfrogs in the spring, wish they "sang" all summer long! Dr. Dave, can you explain what a "French drain" is? I'm assuming some type of pipe with drain holes, but not certain, and can't find anything about it yet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey have to admit the frogs give me exercise . french drain is a pipe with a sleeve over it buried to allow water to be directed away from the pond . The pipe has holes in it to allow surface water to drain away from the area and is usually buried in stone so the sleeve and holes do not become clogged with dirt or silt .easy explanation

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They use it to direct water away from retaining walls or the foundation of houses

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CountryEscape said:
OK, ComeKeith and Sissy, if anyone wants any bullfrogs, or the smaller version that are in ponds, just come to my house! LOL I saw huge tadpoles this evening in the edge of my farm pond, my Golden loves to "hunt" for them. I'm assuming they are bullfrogs. I love to listen to the bullfrogs in the spring, wish they "sang" all summer long! Dr. Dave, can you explain what a "French drain" is? I'm assuming some type of pipe with drain holes, but not certain, and can't find anything about it yet.

Basically you are digging a depression/shallow pit/ It can be the length of the pond or where ever you need to path water from. In this area you can put in drain pipes, gravel cover with landscape fabric then cover with your dirt. I left mine open, shallow depressions with gravel that paths the water around the edge of the pond.

Here are some images of french drains

http://www.google.com/images?q=fren...eJcy-0QH9sb3rDQ&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=600

There are many ways to make them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I buy French drain pipe at Home Depot in 100' lengths. It is 3" or 4" diameter with many holes in it. Addy covered the installation part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks so much, Addy and Dave. Wow, that site had tons of pics. Guess I didn't search correctly. The bad thing about my property is that my yard is soooo flat, I would not have a place for water to drain away or come out of the pipe, but I will watch the flow, and make sure my pond is well above level of the ground. Have been looking at pics on the Forum, of ponds in progress and completed, as well as filters DIY. Very informative. :)

Ask a Question