First ever pond this summer planned . . .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you need just build up the edge of your pond above grade. its as easy as using some 4" - 6" bender board type landscape trim around the edge fastened (screwed) to some stakes. you can fasten the bender board to the stakes perfectly level no matter the level of the terrain then use the dirt from your dig to back fill up the appropriate level after dropping in the liner and filling. this will make your pond perfectl level and hide the excess liner at the same time...taper the dirt away from the pond for run off !!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Things I would have done differently:
1. French drain around the pond
2. Bottom Drain
3. Install a pond sieve filter
4. Made it 4' deep at the deepest point
5. Made my own filter (cheaper)
6. Join a garden pond forum before I started (which you did)
7. Plan your trees and landscaping carefully they may be small now but in a year they may be too large for the area.

Most importantly have fun doing it.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CountryEscape, welcome aboard. I wish I had had all this great advice and input when I first started. But when I started we didn't even have computers yet so it was all older books to try and go by. I will say one of the biggest mistakes for most first time ponders is going to small. In your region I would for sure have at least 50% of your bottom pond area 4' deep or even a little deeper. If your even considering Koi, Plan your pond to have plenty of swimming room. Put in a bottom drain, Plan your plumbing carefully, ease of maintance is a big key to enjoying the pond. When figuring your plumbing plan for the pump to have the largest size possible pipe to move water from the pump to the waterfall if you decide to use one, It is far easier to restrict flow than to get additional flow rates. Also if you need to add valves plan for a extra. Have a Tee or place to add a tee and valve just in case you need it later. You've found a great place to get all the info you need for sucess. Good luck and look forward to seeing your new pond when you get started.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing fishin..............same here, no computers, no internet, just reading and seat of the pants. Learn as you go in some ways, love the net and the ability to look up information and get advice.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The net is great for just everything and don'y know how we really lived with out it .Not sure I could ever get info as easly and as fast as I do know and this sight is what made me reconsider my filters and waterfall and redo them

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hand written flash cards sissy! lmao and the library.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true but then you had to get there and we thought we had it great ,jokes on us .I found the puter great for even looking up my ancestry and I'm amazed at what I found .My parents never ever ever told me I had a twin sister who was born dead and how my fathers mother came here from Germany and had 18 children and my moms family came here from Holland and had 14 children never new all my aunts and uncles and have been finding cousins I had no clue about .Amazing thing really .We were dummies and thought we were smart geeze lol at least I thought I had half a brain:lol::lol::lol::lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shakaho said:
Addy, are you using the PPL-24? That's what I'm planning to get for my new pond.
Sorry missed this post, yes ppl-24 for my arizona pond, ppl-36 for this pond in maryland. We have so much rock they recommended going to the ppl-336.. Both are very tough.

and the cost was not that bad,.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Internet is something else! We were just talking today how when I was a child (ok, it was 40 years ago!) and had an aquarium, I don't remember anyone telling me I had to float the bags first! I just dumped those fish into the aquarium. Tonight, I took close to an hour to acclimate them. And, I have to say, reading your posts is much more fun and enjoyable than buying a book. :) I will post drawing and site pics when I get to that point, and get input before going too much farther. I will have to find someone close to go see their pond first-hand, and get pointers on pumps and filter set-ups to see how things actually work. Pictures do wonders for me as well, so there will be lots of them when I get started, and sure enjoy those from others on this Forum.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
and you don't have to store the books any more when done with the country escape! I like reading a lot of different opinions on how to do it, then pick the one that might work for me, then change it so it does............lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, oh so true about taking what you learn, making it fit what you NEED, and then changing it to be exactly what you WANT! :) None of us will have the exact idea as another, and it's oh so much fun to see what others have done. I don't know anyone with a pond . . . YET . . . that I can go see, but will put the word out and surely there is an experienced ponder in my area to give me some pointers up close and personal! Extension Office will know, I'm hoping.

Reaction score
CountryEscape you have come to the right place. I am new to the forum and have gotten a lot of help and friendly advise since I started.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We all have things to contribute and learn from .One learns something new and passes it on another makes a mistake and passes that on so we all don't do it .I have learned so much I keep a book on it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Countryescape, I know you are fairly far south in the state, but there is a pond club in Central Illinois if you ever want to see ponds. Most pond clubs have pond tours at some time during the year. There is a huge one in the Chicago area that goes over two weekends that I went to last year. After visiting a few big ponds I came home and my pond looked like a puddle. lol This is the web page for the Central Illinois Watergarden Club: http://www.ciwg.org/

Ask a Question