First (fish) pond, could use some help

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm currently excavating a hole for a fish pond with following parameters:
2m (width) x 2,5m (length) x 1,5m (depth).

I want to keep some goldfish in it. Not sure about the number of fish yet, but I won't buy big fish like Koi etc..

The predescribed pond will have a volume of 7.500 litres. I'm not familiar with pond filtration, so I'm looking for suggestions about the type of filter(s) to use.

I would like to bury the filter in the ground, next to the pond, so it's not visible on the outside.

Budget is around €1.000. This budget is for the bottom drain, filter, pump ánd UVC-Unit.

Also, I'm not sure in what order I should place these objects. Is this somewhat accurate?:
1. Bottom Drain
=> 2. Filter
=> 3. Pump
=> 4. UVC-Unit

Or should the pump be installed before the filter? Or even different? :)

Thanks in advance,
Maarten

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MaartenH Hello and welcome. I wish I could answer your questions, but I only have a simple pond. There are other folks here, though, who can help.

Since you're talking about a bottom drain, I assume you're looking at an external filter. I think for those, the filter goes before the pump.

What are you planning to line it with? And what kind of seasonal climate do you have there [I cheated and looked it up ] in Belgium.

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
@Mmathis I'm going to use pond liner for the pond.

I made an image about how I think the pond has to look like (with the filtration system)

But I have no idea what filter will be enough to keep the pond healthy. Will I need to buy a multichamber type of filter, or will a smaller type of filter be enough.

Any suggestions are welcome! :)

In the winter, it can be freezing cold. (Below 0°C, I think last winter the lowest temperature was about -6°C)

Summers are 20-30°C.

Attachments

• Pond image.png
    Pond image.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
First, what is your goal? A pond that's very clean and clear to showcase your fish or a pond that is natural with plants and decently clear.

Will there be a waterfall stream? If so, how long?

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hey @ChrisP !

Thanks for the reply. I want a pond to showcase my fish, primarily. I also want the fish to be happy. So a very clean + clear pond would be what I'm aiming for.

I was thinking about putting these fish in my pond:
- 1 golden tench
- 3 shubunkin's
- 3 comet's
- 3 bluegill

If possible, I would plant a water lily at the bottom of the pond. I did some research and some sorts of water lilies can be planted 1.5m down a pond. But other than that, I won't be putting any plants in the pond.

I'm not planning to build a waterfall! Would have loved it, but my neighbours won't be happy! Thus the pond will be 2m x 2.5m x 1.5m without a waterfall or anything attached.

I would actually prefer a pond which isn't 1.5m deep, but more like 1.2m. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Do you know if a pond of 2m x 2.5m x 1.2m will be big enough for the number/type of fish I mentioned? And if so, you can take this size of pond to help me with choosing the right materials! :)

Thanks in advance,
Maarten

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello @Biswajit Mitra !

Thanks for the heads up. I saw most of these video's too, because I first wanted a Koi Pond!

But after finding out I don't really have the space to keep Koi's happy, I decided to go for a regular goldfish pond!

These video's don't help me though, in choosing the right materials, since it's all based on a pretty large Koi pond!

Thanks anyway! :)

Greetings,
Maarten

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Welcome , the way u have drawn is better , placing pump after filter will prevent blockage by waste or leaves. Filter should be gravity fed and pump to throw water back in pond. http://www.buildapond.co.uk/pond-filter/images/bottomdrain.PNG
http://theponddigger.com/bottom-drain-technology/

Ithink ur pond is big enuf for these fishes uhv mentioned , ithink if u keep depth 1m and increase width length it wil b better

ur pond is 2000gal uil need aprox 1000gal per hour pump atleast ,if u plan to increase fish or add koi then 2000/h pump, if to much precise u can get udea here http://www.cloverleaf.uk.net/whatsizefilter.html

i think uil hv box filter or home made box type place for water to come by gravity thst will have foam filter fabric then bio balls then pump will send water to pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I want a pond to showcase my fish, primarily. I also want the fish to be happy. So a very clean + clear pond would be what I'm aiming for.
Goldfish are probably happiest when the water is cloudy, but then that's not good to see them. My pond is more of a water garden with floating plant and lilies, yet clear enough to see the bottom. The fish are always visible unless their hiding under the plants.

I'm not planning to build a waterfall! Would have loved it, but my neighbours won't be happy! Thus the pond will be 2m x 2.5m x 1.5m without a waterfall or anything attached.

I would actually prefer a pond which isn't 1.5m deep, but more like 1.2m. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Do you know if a pond of 2m x 2.5m x 1.2m will be big enough for the number/type of fish I mentioned? And if so, you can take this size of pond to help me with choosing the right materials! :)
That size should be fine for those fish. As to the waterfall or stream, I'm assume it's a noise issue? I don't have any big drops and the noise is subtle. It's enough to be pleasing, but not enough that my neighbors would notice. You situation may vary.

Others can say more, as I have no experience with bottom drains or skimmers.

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
@ChrisP & @Meyer Jordan Hey!

I read that depth of a pond is important, especially if you're planning to keep fish. But if 1,2m is enough, I'll stick with that.

I don't really plan to buy a skimmer for my pond. I was just thinking about a setup, linked by @Usman . (http://www.buildapond.co.uk/pond-filter/images/bottomdrain.PNG)

I wanted to go to a garden center to look for a good filter, but I don't know if they sell good stuff. They aren't really selling these multichamber type of filters, but just small boxed filters. Maybe they are good enough, maybe not. I have no experience. :)

I was thinking about this filter:
https://www.a2koi.be/merken-a2koi/a...ter-18-000-met-36-watt-uvc-van-aquaforte.html

Since it's in Dutch, I'll translate. It says the following:
- Multichamber filter
- 36 Watt UVC
- Inlet: 20/25/32/40mm
- Outlet: 75mm
- Max pond size with fish: 7,5m³

Would this be a good filter? :)

Thanks in advance,
Maarten

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
@Mmathis Oh, that's great to hear! I'll stick with 1,2m then! Thank you!
24 to 28 inches will be ok ,when uill reduce depth , uil automaticaly hv more liner to make it wider vlonger , it will allow fishes to swim around more and more air more sun and food will be available , if u hv thick snow then u can have small circle in centre deeper , ithink that filter looks good. Letscsee what others say
Make pond in 3 shelves , shalower border few inches for stones plants then another step thn centre deepest,

Ask a Question